Prudhoe is a town with a population of 11,500. Coal mining used to be a major industry in the area, but now many residents commute to Tyne and Wear.
Wylam has a population of 1,900. Wylam used to be an industrial village with coal mines and ironworks. The railway pioneer George Stephenson, who built the world's first steam railway, was born here. Other engineering pioneers from Wylam include Charles Parsons, the inventor of the steam turbine and the railway engineers Timothy Hackworth and William Hedley.
The 10 and 10B provide bus services from Newcastle and the MetroCentre. The 10 also continues to Hexham. There are four buses an hour which take about 50 minutes. An 11A bus runs at peak times but this is no faster.
Expect a fare of about £25 from Newcastle Airport, or about £20 from Newcastle city centre.
- 1 Prudhoe Castle, Castle View, NE42 6NA, ☏ . Apr - Oct Wed - Sun 10:00 - 18:00 (16:00 in Oct). Substantial ruined castle dating from the eleventh century. adults £4.60, children £2.80, concessions £4.10.
- 2 George Stephenson's Birthplace, Riverside Walk, Wylam (half mile walk from carpark in Wylam). Thu - Sun 11:00 - 17:00, closed in winter. One room museum in the cottage that George Stephenson, railway pioneer was born in 1781. Also has tearoom. £3.
Prudhoe has little to offer in the way of accommodation, but there are several places in Wylam, 3 miles away.
- 1 The Ship Inn, Main Rd, Wylam, NE41 8AQ. The inn has music on friday and Saturday nights which may cause noise. from £60.
- Laburnum Guest House at Bistro Englaze, Main Rd, Wylam, NE41 8AJ, ☏ . single from £35.
- 2 The Black Bull, Main Street, Wylam, NE41 8AB. Bar with self-catering rooms
- 3 Close House Hotel & Golf, Heddon on the Wall, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A luxury hotel set in over 400 acres of stunning parkland. Two 18 hole golf courses and Attached Tour Pro Lee Westwood Double rooms from £180.
As of July 2021, Prudhoe has mobile coverage from all UK carriers, with 4G from EE and Vodafone. 5G has not yet reached the town.