After the withdrawal of Roman troops in the 5th century, the Roman settlement of Remacum turned gradually into Remich. It grew over time but got destroyed by Normans in 882. Fragments of the medieval fortifications, such as the Saint Nicolas gate, are still visible today. In 1687 most of the town's fortifications were demolished by the army of Louis XIV (of France). Various coats of arms and guild symbols can still be found on some houses in Remich.
Get in Edit
By car Edit
The N2 (Route de Remich), also known as E29, connects Luxembourg City and Remich. The N10 connects Schengen in the south to Grevenmacher and Wasserbillig, following the Moselle until the latter, after which it follows the Sauer or Sûre, connecting to Echternach, Diekirch, Ettelbruck, Vianden and eventually terminating near Clervaux. The N1 connects the aforementioned Grevenmacher and Wasserbillig to Luxembourg City.
By public transit Edit
Coming from Germany, Remich can be reached through the station of Nennig in Germany, from which it is a 10-minute walk to Remich, crossing the bridge over the Moselle.
The main hub for busses in Remich is the Gare Routière, from which bus 175 runs every hour to Luxembourg City. It leaves Luxembourg City from the train station (without passing through the city centre). Other busses are the 180 to Mondorf-les-Bains, 450 to Grevenmacher and 155 to Saarlouis in Germany. Line 185 stops in Remich, connecting Schengen and Mondorf-les-Bains.
Get around Edit
The bicycle is the preferred mode of transport by tourists. Rentabike Miselerland is by far the most used service for renting bikes, having a handful of locations at which you can rent and return your bike located along the Moselle.
- Fuesend Karneval is a three-day-long celebration of Carnaval, which is notable for its special events: Stréimännchen, the burning of a male effigy from the Moselle River bridge. This event symbolises the burning and doing away with winter. The second special event is the Buergbrennen bonfire that closes the celebration. The Fuesend Karneval also has a parade.
- 1 Musée A Possen, 1 Rue Aloyse Sandt, Bech-Kleinmacher, ☏ . Folklore, wine and toy museum.
- Tour a wine cellar. Caves St. Martin (circa 1921) is known for their crémants. They offer a 45-minute tour of their man-made underground wine cellars (1 km); prices include a glass of crémant (sparkling wine, €6) or one glass of crémant and one glass of Auxerrois Grand Premier Cru (€7.50).
- 1 Pavillon Desom, 49 Esplanade, ☏ .
- 2 Gandhi, 32 Rue de Macher, ☏ .
- 3 Brasserie-Restaurant Le Lion D'Or, 30 Quai de la Moselle, ☏ .
- 4 Um Scheff, 20 Quai de la Moselle, ☏ .
- 5 Restaurant-Auberge La Croisette, 4 Quai de la Moselle, ☏ .
- 6 Café / Restaurant Moselbrück, Zur Moselbrücke 15, Perl, ☏ .
- 7 Pavillon Desom, 49 Esplanade, ☏ .
- 8 Restaurant Pavillon Saint Martin, 53 Route de Stadtbredimus, ☏ .
- 1 Hotel Saint-Nicolas, 31 Esplanade, ☏ . 4-star hotel with spa and restaurant on the bank of the river Moselle. €111.
- 2 l'Esplanade, 5 Esplanade, ☏ . 3-star hotel. €85.
- 3 Hotel Restaurant Ecluse, 29 Waistrooss, Stadtbredimus, ☏ .
- 4 Camping Mosella am Rothaus, Zur Moselbrücke 2a, Perl, ☏ .
- 5 [dead link] Hotel Villa Belle-Rive, 49 Route de Stadtbredimus, ☏ .
- 6 Camping Opa Schuler, Obermoselstraße 1, Palzem, ☏ .