The economy is mainly based on farming and fishing, but tourism — especially for diving — is gradually becoming more important.
Nearby islands are Mindoro to the west, Marinduque to the north, Masbate to the east, Panay and Boracay to the south. Mindoro, Marinduque and Romblon are all in the administrative region of Mimaropa, which in turn is part of the Luzon region.
The province includes many islands. Tablas on the west is the largest, and Sibuyan on the east second. In the middle is Romblon Island.
Carabao Island, also known as the municipality of San Jose, is off the southern tip of Tablas and is close to the highly-developed resort island Boracay. It has fine beaches and is being developed for tourism.
The capital, Romblon Town, is on the north coast of Romblon Island. Alacantra, on the east coast of Tablas Island, has the airport.
- Romblon Shipping Lines. Operates a ferry from Manila and Masbate to Romblon Island.
- Montenegro Shipping Lines. Ferries from Batangas City to Romblon town.
- 2Go Travel. Operates a ferry from Batangas City to Romblon 2/3x weekly, and from Roxas City.
- Starhorse Lines. Operates ferries from Dalahican port in Lucena, Quezon, with stops at Kawit (in Marinduque) to Banton, San Agustin, Romblon town, and Sibuyan Island, twice weekly.
- There are also motorboats from Dangay port in Roxas, Mindoro to Odiongan
- Ferries also connect Tablas with Caticlan port in Panay.
There are jeepneys and buses to and from San Agustin to Odiongan (two hours). and from Odiongan to Looc (two hours).
The best way to see Tablas is by motorcycle. The roads are good quality and traffic is light. Bikes can be hired from Tablas Scooters [dead link]
The two forts of San Andres and Santiago hill, built by the Spaniards in 1640.
The province is popular as a diving destination; see Diving in the Philippines#Romblon.
- PNB Bank Ramon Magsaysay St Romblon town. Has a Visa card ATM.
- Muravin Hotel. Muravian Street Romblon Town, from ₱400 a night.
- Haliwood Inn. Laurel Street. Odiongan town, from ₱500 a night.
- August Inn. Faigao Street San Agustin town, from ₱350 a night.
- Vickys Place. Magdiwang town, from ₱300 a night.
- Angeilque Inn. Looc town, from ₱400 a night