The economy is mainly based on farming and fishing, but tourism — especially for diving — is gradually becoming more important.
Nearby islands are Mindoro to the west, Marinduque to the north, Masbate to the east, Panay and Boracay to the south. Mindoro, Marinduque and Romblon are all in the administrative region of Mimaropa, which in turn is part of the Luzon region.
The province includes many islands. Tablas on the west is the largest, and Sibuyan on the east second. In the middle is Romblon Island.
Carabao Island, also known as the municipality of San Jose, is off the southern tip of Tablas and is close to the highly-developed resort island Boracay. It has fine beaches and is being developed for tourism.
The capital, Romblon Town, is on the north coast of Romblon Island. Alacantra, on the east coast of Tablas Island, has the airport.
- Tablas airport in Alacantra, on the east coast of Tablas, has the province's only airport.
- Romblon shipping lines has a ferry to and from Romblon to Manila and to and from Romblon to Masbate island.
- Montenegro shipping lines has a ferry to and from Romblon to San Agustin on Tablas Island. To and from Romblon to Magdiwang on Sibuyan Island and to and from Romblon to Batangas.
- 2Go travel has a ferry a 2/3 times a week from Batangas going to Romblon and from Romblon going to Roxas city on Panay island.
- There is a Big Bangka ferry which departs Odiongan town on Tablas island going to Roxas Mindoro.
- There is also a ferry from Looc on Tablas island going to Catclan on Panay island.
There are jeepneys and buses to and from San Agustin to Odiongan (two hours). and from Odiongan to Looc (two hours).
The best way to see Tablas is by motorcycle. The roads are good quality and traffic is light. Bikes can be hired from Tablas Scooters
The two forts of San Andres and Santiago hill, built by the Spaniards in 1640.
The province is popular as a diving destination; see Diving in the Philippines#Romblon.
- PNB Bank Ramon Magsaysay St Romblon town. Has a Visa card ATM.
- Muravin Hotel. Muravian Street Romblon Town, from ₱400 a night.
- Haliwood Inn. Laurel Street. Odiongan town, from ₱500 a night.
- August Inn. Faigao Street San Agustin town, from ₱350 a night.
- Vickys Place. Magdiwang town, from ₱300 a night.
- Angeilque Inn. Looc town, from ₱400 a night