Salem is a city of 12,000 people (2019) in Columbiana County, Ohio. The city is an exurb of Youngstown, and is the commercial hub of northwestern Columbiana County, and home to Allegheny Wesleyan College and Kent State University at Salem.
Founded by the Quaker society in 1806, Salem was notably active in the abolitionist movement of the early- to mid-19th century as a hub for the American Underground Railroad. Through the 20th century, Salem served as one of many industrial towns in the Mahoning Valley.
Salem lies on US62 and SR45.
Two sections of the city are designated National Register historic districts: the "Salem Downtown Historic District" (bounded by Vine Avenue, Ohio Avenue, East Pershing Street, South Ellsworth Avenue, and Sugar Tree Alley, designated 1995), and the "South Lincoln Avenue Historic District" (designated 1993), which includes several of the town's monumental and architecturally distinctive homes.
Other city properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places include: the Burchfield Homestead (home to Charles Burchfield from ages 5 to 28), Daniel Howell Hise House (home of local Quaker abolitionist and Underground Railroad station), the (former) Salem Methodist Episcopal Church, and the John Street House (Underground Railroad station and home to descendant of city founder).
- 1 Cherry Valley Coke Ovens (Cherry Valley Coke Ovens Arboretum). Between Salem and Columbiana
- 2 Burchfield Homestead.
- 3 Daniel Howell Hise House. An underground railroad house.
- 4 John Street House. An underground railroad stop.
- 5 Kent State University at Salem, 2491 State Route 45 S, ☏ +1 330-332-0361, email@example.com.
- 6 First United Methodist Church. A Romanesque church built in 1910
- 1 Centennial Park.
- Annabell's Restaurant, 110 Benton Rd, ☏ +1 330-332-4155.
- Mike's Penn Avenue Grille, 599 E State St, ☏ +1 330-332-4804.
- Ricky's English Pub, 151 E State St, ☏ +1 330-332-2825. Sells English Food
- The Stables Inn and Suites, 544 E Pershing St, ☏ +1 234-567-4671. They have a lounge. $90 (Feb 2022).
- Salem Public Library, 821 E State St, ☏ +1 330-332-0042, firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Routes through Salem|
|Canton ← Alliance ←||W E||→ Youngstown → Warren|
|END ←||N S||→ Hanoverton → St. Clairsville|
|Ravenna ← Jct W E ←||W E||→ Columbiana → Beaver Falls|