Nuhaci built his imperial palace and was laid to rest in one of the first two imperial tombs of the Qing Dynasty, Fuling Tomb. His son is buried in Zhaoling tomb, which is the second of the first two imperial tombs. The imperial palace and the two tombs are all listed by UNESCO as World Heritage Sites. It was in Shenyang that the Russian army was defeated by the Japanese in 1905. It was also here, on September 18, 1931 that Japan would stage the Mukden incident in order to use it as a pretext to occupy all of Northeast China. This city was also the home to the warlord Zhang Zuolin and his son Zhang Xueliang who ruled over the Northeast during the 1920s. In the 20th century, Shenyang developed as a major industrial centre. Today the city is rapidly losing its older structures with large scale construction throughout the city, as in all other cities in China.With the development of the times, the traces left by the war have gradually faded, but the people of the world will not forget that the suffering brought by Japan to China began here.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Shenyang has a monsooon-influenced continental climate with large seasonal variation. Winters are very cold, but dry, and can easily feature nights of −20 °C or below. Summers are hot and humid, with daytime temperatures near 30 °C, rarely pushing above into the high 30s °C, though.
- The Underbelly of the Dragon by F.S. Upp
The city is served by the Shenyang Taoxian International Airport, and by several smaller, regional airports. There are direct flights to Shenyang from most Chinese airports.
- 1 Shenyang Taoxian International Airport (沈阳桃仙国际机场; Shěnyángtáoxiān Guójìjīchǎng SHE IATA) (30 km south of the city). Direct international flights include Seoul and Cheongju in South Korea; Pyongyang in North Korea; Irkutsk and Khabarovsk in Russia; Frankfurt, Osaka, Tokyo and Vancouver.
Tramway line 2 connects the airport with the Shenyang subway system. With the transfer to the subway, it takes a bit over an hour to get into downtown. An airport shuttle also runs from the airport to the main China Northern Airlines ticket office (117 Zhonghua Road; 中华路117号; Zhōnghuálù) and back frequently.
Shenyang is connected by a major expressway, the 6-lane Jingshen Expressway, from Beijing, some 685 km (425 mi) away. Expressways also link Shenyang with Jilin and Heilongjiang provinces. The Shenda Expressway connecting Shenyang and Dalian was the first expressway ever built in China (383 km/238 mi). It is the fastest highway (8-lane) linking one of the largest port cities to Shenyang.
Train service is provided through two train stations, the North Railway Station and the Railway Station. The North Railway Station handles the majority of the long-distance trains while the Railway Station handles most of the northeast trains and does local service around the province. Some trains travel to both stations so be aware of which station you need to board your train. High Speed Rail is available from both stations (D train). The train stations are connected with metro.
- 2 North Railway Station (沈阳北站; Shěnyáng Běizhàn) (at Beizhan Road (北站路; Běizhànlù), Line 1).
- Beijing - takes about 8 hours (or 4-5 hours by 'D Train')
- Dalian - takes about 6 hours (express trains take 3 - 4 hours or 2 hours by 'D Train')
- Dandong - takes about 5 hours
- Guangzhou - takes about 30-48 hours
- Harbin - takes about 7 hours (3 hours by 'D Train')
- Jilin - takes about 6-9 hours (2½ hours by 'D Train)
- Shanghai - takes about 27-34 hours
- Tianjin - takes about 7 hours (or 5 hours by 'D Train')
- Qinhuangdao - takes about 5 hours (or 2½ hours by 'D Train')
- 3 Railway Station (沈阳火车站; Shěnyáng Huǒchēzhàn) (at Shengli Beijie (胜利北街; Shènglìběijiē), Line 2).
- Baihe via Songjianghe - takes about 9 hours
- Beijing - takes about 8-10 hours (4-5 hours by 'D Train')
- Changchun - takes about 4 hours (2 hours for 'D Train')
- Dalian - takes about 5 hours (2 hours by 'D Train')
- Dandong - takes about 4 hours
- Harbin - takes about 7 hours (3 hours by 'D Train')
- Jilin - takes about 7 hours (2½ hours by 'D Train')
- Tianjin - takes about 9 hours (5 hours by 'D Train')
- Tonghua - takes about 7 hours
- Tumen - takes about 16 hours
Long distance bus service is handled by two bus stations.
Main Long-Distance Bus Station (Shenyang Qiche Kuaisu Keyun Zhan) Located on Huigong Jie, this station serves routes to and from major cities. You can also find night buses to Beijing being hawked outside the north train station.
- Beijing - takes about 8 hours
- Changchun - takes about 4 hours
- Dandong - takes about 3 hours, ¥85 one-way as of May 2015. Buses leave from 05:30 to 19:00, in 30 -inute intervals.
- Dalian - takes about 4 hours
- Harbin - takes about 7 hours
- Jilin - takes about 5 hours
- Jinzhou - takes about 3 hours
South Bus Station Buses queue along Minzhu Lu (opposite the south train station), around Minzhu Square and some nearby streets. On most buses you pay the conductor on the bus but for Anshan and Liaoyang you must purchase tickets at the office on the east side of Minzhu Square. These buses run medium distance routes to neighbouring cities within Liaoning. Buses stop departing this bus stations around 18:00. Passengers arriving to this station may be offloaded from the bus on a nearby street or some distance away at a yard used for storing coaches, sited behind the post office on Zhongshan Jie.
- Anshan - takes about 1 hour 40 minutes
- Benxi - takes about 1 hour
- Liaoyang - takes 1 hour
- Fushun - takes 50 minutes
Sights in the old city, Shenhe District, can be walked between, but other areas such as those in Beiling or Dongling require transport.
The Shenyang Metro has three lines. Line 1 runs east-west across the city (serving Shenyang rail station). Line 2 runs north-south (serving Shenyang North rail station). Lines 9 runs in an L shape, from northwest to southwest to southeast.Lines 10 runs in an L shape, from northwest to southwest to southeast.
Shenyang has a comprehensive bus system, but it can be incomprehensible if you do not read Chinese. Make sure you pick up a city bus and area map at either train station. Very handy to help get around. Buses charge ¥1-2 and major bus lines congregate around the train stations. Bus 203 travels between the two train stations.
There are plenty of taxis whose meters start at ¥8 for 3 km, then ¥1.8 per kilometer. Make sure you get a taxi in which the meter is mounted on the dashboard and easily visible from your seat instead of behind the gear shift - it is possible the driver may be pulling some sleight of hand to increase your fare.
Architecture and historical sitesEdit
- City walls, Shenyang Lu. The original city walls of Shenyang were destroyed in the 1950s. Some small sections have been reconstructed to give an impression of the former city. These remains consist of two gates, Huaiyuanmen and Fujinmen, at either end of Shenyang Lu.
- 3 Former residence of Zhang Xueliang (Marshal Zhang's Mansion 张氏篩府), S Shuaifu Ln, Shenhe District (a short walk south from the Imperial Palace). This was the home of Zhang Zuolin and his son Zhang Xueliang during the end years of the Qing dynasty and the beginning of the Republic. Zhang became, with the fall of the Qing Emperor, the warlord in control of the northeast of China, and for a short time was proclaimed president of China. ¥50 as of December 2014 and also includes entries to Zhao Yi Di House next door and the Financial Museum.
- 4 Former Site of Shenyang Military Tribunal for the Trial of Japanese War Criminals (中国审判日本战犯法庭旧址陈列馆), 77 Heilongjiang Street, Huanggu District (皇姑区黑龙江街77号) (about 960 meters southeast of Zhongyiyaodaxue Station on lines 2 and 10 of the Shenyang Metro; bus nos. 106, 280, 281, 290 and 292 stop just outside the museum), ☏ . 09:00-17:00 (summer), 09:00-16:30 (winter), no entry in last 30 minutes, closed on Mondays. 36 Japanese war criminals were publicly tried and prosecuted at this site between June 9th and July 20th, 1956. The site is now a museum. Free.
- 5 Fuling (福陵), Dongling Rd, Dongling District (Buses 148 and 168 go here from the north station in about 1 hour). This is the first tomb of the Qing Dynasty in which Nu'erhachi, the founder of the dynasty, is laid to rest. It dates to the early 17th century and is constructed in traditional Manchu style along lines of Chinese fengshui. The area is listed, along with the other imperial tombs of the Ming and Qing dynasty, as a UNESCO world heritage site and a AAAA-rated tourist site on the Chinese national scale. It is one of only 3 imperial tombs north of the Great Wall of China. To the east of the tomb site a large area of park land forms Dongling Park. ¥30.
- 6 Mukden Palace (故宫 Gugong), Shenyang Rd, Shenhe District (Bus 222 or 213 can take you there for ¥1), ☏ . Former Imperial Palace - built in 1625 for Nurhachi, and inherited by his son Abahai (Huang Taiji), the Former Imperial Palace of Shenyang is one of two royal complexes extent in China today. The splendid and distinctly ethnic Manchu architectural style of the palace, which includes Dazheng (Grand Politics) Hall, the Ten Princes' Pavilion, Chongzhen (Golden Chimes), Phoenix Chamber and Qingning (Pure Tranquility) Pavilion, are still in perfect shape. On Saturday afternoons during the summer, the palace is the venue for a grand Imperial procession. This is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site alongside the palace in Beijing. It is also an AAAA-rated tourist site on the Chinese national scale. A guidebook is available in English at the ticket office, priced ¥25, which provides a detailed explanation of the exhibits. This fascinating palace contains finer details compared to the one in Beijing, such as the exquisitely handcrafted detailed carving and painting, which are still clear after four centuries. The throne room in Chongzheng Hall has incredibly detailed scrollwork -even the columns circled by the watchful dragons and on the throne. The palace also shows a significant influence from the nomadic heritage of its builders in the cold Manchuria. ¥60 as of January 2011.
- 7 The old Longkou Wine Museum (老龙口 laolongkou), Xiao Dong Lu. A small museum beside the Laolongkou distillery tells the history of Baiju production on the site which dates to the early 17th century. The display includes old maps and photographs of the area. Equipment used in the wine production and a collection of old bottles, labels and trademarks used by the company. Free.
- Shengjing Ancient Cultural Street (盛京古文化街), Shenyang Rd (Outside the Imperial Palace). Shenjing is the old name for Shenyang during the 17th century - jing meaning capital city. This street tries to recreate the architectural styles of the time. It is however only a facard over the front of relatively modern 20th-century structures within which a variety of tourist orientated shops operate. Free.
- 8 Shenyang World War II Allied Prisoners Camp Site Museum (二战盟军战俘集中营旧址陈列馆), 3-30 Ditan Street, Dadong District (大东区地坛街30-3号) (Close to Pangjiangjie Station on Metro Line 1). 08:30-16:30, closed on Mondays. From 1942 to 1945, around 1500 soldiers from six different countries were interned by the Japanese at this POW camp in Shenyang. The site is now a museum. Information is provided in both Chinese and English. Free.
- 9 Xinle Ancient Ruins Museum (沈阳新乐遗址博物馆, Xinle Site Museum), 1 Longshan Road, Huanghe North Street, Huanggu District (皇姑区黄河北大街龙山路1号) (Just off of Huanghenan Da Jie on the W side of Beiling Park. Close to the Xinle Yizhi metro station on Line 2), ☏ . May 1st to October 14th: 09:00-17:00, no entry after 16:30. October 15th to April 30th: 09:00-16:30, no entry after 16:00. On this location were found the remains of a 7000-year old, stone age, village. A museum now houses the archaeological finds and the village has been reconstructed. The site is in two sections. The ticket office is on the north side of the road. You will then be directed across to the museum on the south side to view the display before returning to the north side again to enter the reconstruction area. Displays are labelled in Chinese and English and the site is rated AAA on China's national tourist scale. ¥20.
- 10 Zhaoling (昭陵), Beiling Jie, Huanggu District (in the center of Beiling Park, about 1 km from the S entrance of the Park; Beiyuan Gongyuan Metro Station, Line 2). This is the tomb of the second Qing emperor, Huang Taiji, and his consorts. It was built over a period of eight years during the mid-17th century. The site is a unique blend of traditional Manchu and Chinese architecture. The area is listed, along with the other imperial tombs of the Ming and Qing dynasty, as a UNESCO world heritage site and a AAAA-rated tourist site on the Chinese national scale. It is one of only 3 imperial tombs north of the Great Wall of China. Around the tomb is set out the extensive lands of Beiling Park which includes large areas of forest and several lakes. ¥30, ¥6 for the park only and the park is free daily before 06:00.
- 11 9.18 Memorial Museum (“九•一八”历史博物馆, 9.18 History Museum), 46 Wanghua South Street, Dadong District (大东区望花南街46号) (The nearest bus stop is the Tongli Car Company (通利汽车公司) bus stop, which is served by bus routes 163, 212, 253, 298, 299, 325, 328, and 399), ☏ (bookings), (complaints), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Summer: 09:00-17:00, no entry after 16:30, closed on Mondays. Winter: 09:00-16:30, no entry after 16:00, closed on Mondays. At 22:30 on 18 September 1931, a bomb exploded beside the Japanese-run railway line near Shenyang. Though instigated by the Japanese, the Chinese were blamed for the event giving the Japanese an excuse to invade and occupy the whole of the northeast of China. Shenyang was the epicenter of that invasion, so it is most appropriate that the museum for the Mukden Incident, known in China as the '9.18 Incident', is in Shenyang next to the spot where the explosion occurred. The museum, as one would expect, depicts the incident from a Chinese perspective. It is not for the faint of heart because it unflinchingly displays the atrocities of war. Only the main descriptions are available in English, but it's enough to follow the course of events. The pictures and exhibits speak for themselves, anyway. Free.
- 12 China Museum of Industry (中国工业博物馆. Formerly known as the China Foundry Museum 中国铸造博物馆 and previously as the Shenyang Foundry Museum 沈阳铸造博物馆), 14 Weigong North Street, Tiexi District (铁西区卫工北街14号) (near Olympic Stadium; bus routes 147, 175, 176, 277, 300, 303 175 and 176 stop near the museum. Bus 277 may be caught from the Shenyang North Railway Station. Bus 175 and bus 300 may be caught from Qigong Street, just outside the Qigong Street Station on Metro Line 1), ☏ . Tu-Su 09:00-16:00. Tells the story of the industrialisation of China. The museum is built on the site of an old foundry, which has been largely preserved in its original state. Free.
- 13 Liaoning Provincial Museum (辽宁省博物馆), 157 Zhihui San Street, Hunnan District (浑南区智慧三街157号) (The nearest bus stop is 'Zhihui Si Street & Quanyun San Road' (智慧四街全运三路), which is served by bus routes 100, 108, 130, 198 (north circle), 198 (west circle) and v112. You may catch bus v112 from the Baitahe Road Station on Metro Line 2), ☏ . April to October: Tu-Su 09:00-17:00, no entry after 16:00. November to March: Tu-Su 09:30-16:30, no entry after 15:30. A high-quality museum featuring Liaoning history from the stone age to the Qing dynasty, with many relics of China's past found in the area (3rd floor). Also houses large collections of Chinese traditional art and calligraphy, plus temporary exhibitions. There may be queues to enter during main public holidays. Free.
- 14 Paleontological Museum of Liaoning (辽宁古生物博物馆), Shenyang Normal University, 253 Huanghe North Street, Huanggu District (皇姑区黄河北大街253号沈阳师范大学院内) (Shenyang Normal University Station, Metro Line 2), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 09:30-16:00, no entry after 15:30, closed on Mondays and Thursdays. Claims to be the largest paleontological museum in China. Maintains a huge collection of fossils. Free.
- 15 Shen-Air Museum (沈飞航空博览园), 1 Lingbei Street, Huanggu District (皇姑区陵北街1号) (at NE corner of Beiling Park next to Beiling Airport. Bus routes 121, 131, 157, 178, and 200. You may catch bus no. 200 from the Santaizi metro station on Line 2), ☏ . 08:30-16:30, closed on Mondays. Beiling Airport is the site where China produced its first modern jet aircraft in the early 1950s. The first ones were copies of Soviet MIG fighters but gradually Chinese designs were developed. A strong focus is placed on comparing Chinese and American aircraft, in particular those involved in the Korean War of the 1950s. They also tell the history of Chinese missile development and other technologies. Civilian aircraft were also produced here and feature in the exhibits. The tour finishes with the modern J-11 fighter, China's new passenger aircraft (ACAC ARJ21 Xiangfeng or Flying Phoenix) and Chinese space flights. This is an AAAA-rated site on China's national tourist scale. ¥30.
- 16 Shenyang Railway Museum (沈阳铁路陈列馆), 8 Shandan Street, Sujiatun District (苏家屯区山丹街8号) (the nearest bus stop with bus services to the downtown area is the Keji Pharmaceuticals (可济药业) bus stop, which is served by bus nos. 137, 165, 327, and k802. You can catch bus no. 327 from the south side of Shenyang Railway Station), ☏ . 09:00-16:00, closed on Mondays. Housing 15 historical locomotives and 3 duplicated historical locomotives. It is the biggest steam locomotive museum in China. ¥80.
Parks and natureEdit
- 17 Royal Ocean World (皇家极地海洋世界; Huángjiājídehǎiyángshìjiè), Wanghua District (抚顺高湾(沈吉高速抚顺西出口)) (Off the Shenfu Hwy midway between Shenyang and Fushun. From Fushun take bus No.811. A taxi from Fushun city will cost ¥30-40 (negotiable). Bus No.2 from Shenyang South railway station or No.3 from Shenyang North railway station on route to Fushun stop on the Expressway near the park. The bus fare is ¥10), ☏ , , fax: , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Opened in 2008 and still being expanded, this claims to be the biggest aquarium in Asia. There are four displays open. The Ocean World display contains sea and fresh water aquariums filled with all manor of aquatic life. The Century Forest display focuses on reptiles. There is also the Narnian Castle which is a theatre where animal shows are performed several times throughout the day (show times may vary throughout the year). Lastly there is Susu world, a soft play centre for children. Each of these displays can be purchased separately or on a combined ticket. Beside this site, Asia's largest water park features swimming pools, water flumes and other water activities. ¥70-140.
- 18 Shenyang Horticultural Exposition Garden (2006中国沈阳世界园艺博览会), Dongling District (18 km E of the north train station, about 5 km further E than Dongling Park, buses from the south bus station going to Fushun City will stop outside the park, bus 168 takes you to the park for ¥5 from Maluwan). This is the site of the 2006 International Horticultural Exposition. One of Shenyang's main tourist attractions, it continues to operate though the expo has officially ended. It features international gardens reminiscent of Epcot Center in Disney World in the U.S, (the amusement park is really awesome compared to the gardens, which includes a roller coaster and many other fun activities!). It also features gardens for different provinces and cities within China and the expo's most recognizable feature, the Lily Tower, a massive structure inspired by its namesake flower (for ¥30, you can take an elevator to the top of this magnificent structure). Before its transformation to the Expo Gardens, this was once the much humbler Botanical Gardens. It opens in the spring and closes in October. Most of the signs are in English and Chinese. ¥35.
- North, East, South and West Pagodas (北塔 Beita, 南塔 Nanta, 东塔 Dongta, 西塔 Xita) (the west pagoda is in the courtyard of a temple in the Korean quarter, whereas the other three are surrounded by small parks). Built in the 1640s and now restored to close to original, these four pagodas stand each about 4 km north, south, east and west of the Imperial Palace that was the centre of the old city. Each pagoda is almost identical to the others but the north and south pagodas are in the best condition today. Free.
Statues and monumentsEdit
- 19 Mao Zedong's Statue (毛泽东塑像), Zhongshan Sq, Heping District (1.25 km from the south train station). This is the largest statue of Mao Zedong in China. Around the base of the statue are images of workers, peasants and soldiers in heroic poses. The square is a popular place for locals to relax. Also called 'Taxi Square' by the locals. Free.
- Happy Family (兴隆大家庭 xīng lóng dà jiā ting). The Happy Family Malls (one in Tiexi and the one on Zhongjie) have indoor ice rinks with skates you can rent an occasional specials on teachers.
There are three ski resort areas within Shenyang prefecture.
Northeast Asia Ski Resort (东北亚滑雪场 Dongbeiya Huaxue Chang), Magang, Xingchengzi District (28 km /17 mi outside of Shenyang). With 700,000 m² of skiing area, this is the biggest ski resort. Daytime skiing ¥135 for two hours and night skiing is ¥125. Discounts for groups of 15 or more are available..
Baiqingzhai Ski Field (白清寨滑雪场), Sujiatun District (40 km/25 mi out). The site includes a freestyle aerial skiing and off-piste areas. Total area is 530,000 m². Daytime skiing ¥135 for two hours and night skiing is ¥120. Discounts for groups of 15 or more are available..
Qipanshan Ice and Snow World (棋盘山冰雪大世界) (20 km outside, take bus 330), ☏ , , fax: . 09:00-22:00 daily, winter only. Within Qipanshan Scenic Area and covering an area of 500,000 m². Daytime skiing ¥150 for two hours and night skiing is ¥130. Discounts for groups of 15 or more are available.
Major shopping areasEdit
Shenyang has three main shopping areas.
- 1 Zhong Jie (中街). It has shops selling cell phones, computers, electronic equipment or the latest fashions and accessories. Box/department stores are within walking distance of Zhong Jie as well as the north train station. There are many western brands here, including cafes and restaurants. The Forum 66 Mall is well-travelled and full of international food and clothing brands, and its relatively empty companion, the Palace 66, is now open at 市府广场站 Shifu Guangchang station on the 2 line.
- 2 Taiyuan Jie (太原街) (Within walking distance of the Shenyang Railway Statio). This area has an English language bookstore and main post office nearby, as well as food, clothing from international brands, and electronics. Don't miss the underground shopping mall under the street. Box stores common throughout China can be found here. Cheap prescription glasses and sunglasses can be found on south Taiyuan street in the 赛隆广场 Sailong Mall. Don't forget to bargain!
- 3 Beishichang (北市场) (within walking distance from the north train station). One of the oldest shopping areas in Shenyang. There is an important Lama temple (Huang Shi, founded in 1636), which was worshiped by all the Manchu emperors during their regular trips to Shenyang.
- 4 Wu'ai Market (五爱). The biggest wholesale market in the northeast of China, with 300,000 customers per day and annual turnover of more than ¥2 billion. It covers an area of 139,000 m² with multiple massive buildings connected by bridges and stairways. Products include dresses, shoes, caps, groceries, knitted goods, cloth materials, boxes, home appliances, gifts, daily sundry goods, beauty and hairdressing articles, small foods, bedding goods and more. Be prepared to get lost!
A good place to check for electronics and repairs is 三好街 San Hao Jie, which boasts a "music city" near the music academy on the north end, and an extensive selection of electronics malls on the southern end.
For foreign expats looking for the comforts of home, there are numerous import grocery stores, including Olé in the MixC at 工业展览馆 Gongye Zhanlanguan station and at Palace 66, Yoo-Hoo by 金融中心 Jinrong Zhongxin station, and METRO and Ikea out in 铁西区 Tiexi district. Many of these stores will offer free membership cards for foreign workers.
As a possible souvenir, by incorporating traditional Chinese painting techniques, artists of Shenyang have turned feather patchwork scrolls into something as refined and appealing as Chinese painting and calligraphy.
Liaoning is home to Liaocai (辽菜), a distinctive cuisine named after the area. Liaocai tends to be strong in flavour with plenty garlic, ginger and other spices but not hot. Shenyang has a large Korean and Mongolian population, who operate a lot of barbecue stands on the street corners of the city. Some of the city's best types of cuisine include 火锅 hot pot, 麻辣烫 mala tang, or spicy pay-by-weight soup, and 串儿 chuan'r barbeque. There are many Muslim hand-pulled noodle places, and also a number of very good Korean restaurants. All of Shenyang's top hotels feature fancy restaurants serving Cantonese, Japanese and Western food. At least two different places offering Mexican specials. There are also some decent noodle shops, as well as the national chain California Beef Noodle, on some of the small roads near the train station.
Fast food and coffee shops are plentiful. The imported, western style food tends to be at the higher end of the price market. By going after local cuisine you will save money. One of the absolute best places to try cheap and savoury local foods is at the 彩电塔 Cai Dian Ta night market near the Liaoning Radio Tower, located just west of the Kempinski hotel and 青年公园 Qingnian Gongyuan Station. This market is full of cheap barbeque 串儿 chuan'r, with selections as various as chicken necks, pig feet, or tofu rolls. There are also various noodle dishes, potato dishes, soft-serve ice cream and fruit jelly desserts, and a Liaoning starch specialty known as 闷子 Menzi. It stretches across several streets, and is generally open from the end of March until late October as crowds die down over the winter months.
- Lao Bian Jiaozi Restaurant 老边饺子, No.208 Zhong Jie, Shenhe District (Zhongjie Metro Station B1 Exit; next to the Imperial Palace). 10:00-20:00. Dumplings restaurant. Lao Bian Jiaozi, founded in 1829, is one of the most famous dumpling restaurants.Guinness World Records 2000 for the World's Oldest Dumpling Restaurant.
- BaoFaYuan 宝发园, No.1 Tianyuan, Xiaoshizi Street, Dadong District, Shenyang 沈阳市大东区小什字街天源巷1号 (Dong Zhong Jie Metro Line 1 A exit, across the street), ☏ . Famous for its 四绝 (Four Outstanding). While locals might not remember the name "BaFaYuan", everyone knows "Four Outstanding" given the name was giving by Zhang Xueliang. ¥60/person.
- Cafe Lido (Sheraton Shenyang Lido Hotel), Qingnian St. It is recognized as being the best Western food in Shenyang. Serving Australian beef, mashed potatoes Irish style, Guinness meat pies, fresh fish, salads and the tastiest pastries in town. Special on Friday's Seafood Night, small price for all you can eat and drink! ¥180-200.
- La Bellevue. For bigger budget there is also a fine dining French restaurant, "La Bellevue".
- Xita Korea Town (西塔街), Tita, Shifu Da Jie (from the South train station head due N up Taiyuan Jie or take bus 249, 611, 255, or 252). Not one restaurant but an area with many good restaurants. The streets around the Western Pagoda (Xita) are home to many Korean people giving the area the name Korea Town.
- Buddha Bar and Restaurant, Xi Bin He Lu 58 (next to the Kempinski hotel, Qing Nian Gong Yuan subway station exit A), ☏ (English), ✉ email@example.com. 17:30-02:00 daily. Cocktail and wine bar with large selection of imported beers, Also serves sushi.
- Party 98 -2 (pai dui er), Shi San Wei Road (十三纬路 near Heidis and the U.S. Embassy, walking distance to the Kempinsky Hotel). One of the most popular clubs for foreigners. The first floor plays HipHop and R&B (mainly foreigners), the second floor (mainly Chinese) has singers and electronic music.
- Black Sheep (hei yang xi can ting), Sanjing Jie and Shisanwei Lu (across the street from Party 98). Very popular with expats. A bar and pub with frequent social events.
- Pure Colours (米亚本色 mi ya ben si), 6-328 Fengtian Street (奉天街), ☏ . The second popular club for foreigners and rich Chinese. They have an informal special for foreigners: buy one get two (for longdrinks only).
- Don't Tell Mama (别告诉妈妈 bié gàosu mā ma), Xita St (西塔街), in Korea town. Packed even on weeknights, this large Chinese-style club offers a constant cabaret-style variety show with over-the-top dance acts and live singing. One highlight is the male performers seem compelled to chug any quantity of beer bought for them, up to two-liter pitchers, in one go, without using their hands.
- Sunny's Night Club. A popular spot for foreigners but staff and service are low quality.
- Party 98 (98 俱乐部 - 98 jù lè bù), Xita St (西塔街), in Korea town. Noisy Chinese music, close to the 24/24h barbecue restaurants.
- Club 97 (97号会所), No 97 Zhongshan Lu, 100 m W of Zhongshan Sq and its Mao statue (中山路97号，中山广场西100米), ☏ . A shiny, trendy club with an outdoor patio frequented by expats, mostly Russian ones. Not too crappy music, great food before 23:00, a bit pricey though.
- Sophie's World Bar (苏菲的世界酒吧), Er Jing St, Bawei Rd (二经街 八伟路, ☏ . The oldest foreigner bar in town is like an institution for both expats and locals. Cheap alcohol, darts, soccer games on TV.
- Shamrock Irish Pub, 134/11 Changjiang Street (located near Liao Da Old University at Appreciate Europe), ☏ . Serving probably the best draught Guinness in Shenyang and more in a clean, laid-back pub. They also have a great selection of foods including Irish stew and onion rings. Great place to go for a pint and a meal and of course the craic. Call for directions. Open from 16:00 till late 7 days a week.
- Green Mile, No. 3-1 Bei San Jing Jie (just west of Government Square, and just southeast of North Market on Yi Wei Lu (一纬路). To find it, first go to the intersection of San Jing Jie (三经街) and Shi Fu Da Lu (市府大路). Yi Wei Lu is a small road just south of Shi Fu Lu. The Green Mile is 100 meters to the east of San Jing Jie.), ☏ . A smoky, grungy sports-bar style bar, which gets especially busy and smoky late on the weekends. A good place to go for shots and cocktails. Some claim that the Green Mile has the best American style pizza in Northeast China, and they deliver. Very popular with expats.
- Shenyang Zhijia Qingnian Hotel (沈阳致家青年旅馆), 13 Shenyang Rd, ☏ , fax: . This small hotel is not spectacular, but offers cheap singles (or, if you need "a short rest" will let a room to you for fours hours for ¥30). The main attraction is the location, just north of Huaiyuan Gate, it is on an old street with attractive architecture, just one block west of the imperial palace.
- Eletel (沈阳璟星大酒店), 235 Zhong St (set back from the main road in a pedestrianized area), ☏ . The rooms are designed in a ultra modern style that some will like and others will hate. The location is on a main shopping street within walking distance of several attractions such as the Imperial Palace. ¥267.
- [dead link] Grand Century Hotel (沈阳世纪国际大酒店), 88-2 Zhonghua Rd, Heping District (Access to the hotel is round the back of the shopping mall, off of the main road), ☏ , fax: . A decorated, high quality hotel at an affordable price. Located in the centre of the shopping area near to the south train station. Rooms in the upper stories provide good views across the city. Wireless internet is available in rooms. ¥349.
- Liaoning Taishan Hotel, 22 Taishan Rd, Huanggu District, ☏ , fax: .
- Railway Hotel (沈阳瑞心东方酒店（原铁道新东方饭店）), 102 Beizhan Lu (at North Train Stn), ☏ , fax: .
- Somerset Heping Shenyang, No 80 Taiyuan North Street, Heping district, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The residence offers 270 fully-furnished serviced apartments ranging from one-bedroom deluxe to three-bedroom executive. Each apartment is equipped with broadband internet access, a private IDD telephone with voicemail facility and business support services.
- 1 Mt. Chilbo Hotel (七宝山饭店), 和平区十一纬路79-81号, ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. A four-star hotel downtown, this hotel is distinguished by its ownership by the North Korean government. TVs receive North Korean channels, and the hotel lobby features a small store and the Shenyang Air Koryo ticketing office. Good internet. 368元.
- Gloria Plaza Hotel, 32 Yingbin St, Shenhe District, ☏ , fax: .
- Traders Hotel, 68 Zhonghua Rd, Heping District, ☏ , fax: . A brand of Shangri-La, but one level down from the full-service Shangri-La.
- Wonhurg International Hotel, 35 Kunshan Zhong Rd, Huanggu District, ☏ , fax: . Premier business hotel with deluxe guestrooms, free Internet access, and 300-capacity ballroom.
- New World Shenyang Hotel (沈阳新世界酒店), 2 Nanjing Nan Street, Heping District, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
Shenyang also has its share of Western 4-star properties such as Marriott, ShangRi-La, and Holiday Inn. There is a 24-hour spa at the north train station.
Consulate offices listed below:
- France, NO.34, Nan Shisanwei Road, Heping Dis., ☏ .
- Japan, No.50, Shisiwei Road, Heping Dis., ☏ .
- North Korea, Bei Ling Da Jie (Beiling Avenue), Huanggu District, ☏ , fax: .
- Republic of Korea, No.37, Nan Shisanwei Road, Heping District, ☏ .
- Russian Federation, No.31, Nan Shisanwei Road, Heping District, ☏ . Consul- General Mr. Paltov Sergey
- Consulate General of the United States, 52, 14th Wei Rd, Heping, ☏ , fax: , ✉ ShenyangACS@state.gov.
- Germany, 21 floor, CR Building, 286 Qingnian Dajie 和平区青年大街286号华润大厦21层, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.