I tried to add regions to this article, since there are a good 70 districts in the state—it definitely needs some kind of regions structure. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the area, so I probably got it wrong. Please feel free to correct. --(WT-en) Peter Talk 03:03, 20 December 2008 (EST)
List of 9 cities - which ones?Edit
Wikivoyage policy is to list no more than 9 cities in the "Cities" list in an article about a state. Right now, we have the following cities listed:
- Lucknow — the capital of Uttar Pradesh, also home to one of the IIM
- Agra — the tourist Capital of India, home to three World Heritage Site, including the Taj Mahal
- Allahabad — holy place where the rivers Ganga, Yamuna & Saraswati meet
- Ayodhya — birth Place of Lord Shri Ram and Lord Rishabhdev, first Tirthankar of the Jains.
- Bareilly — historical city of Rohilkhand
- Jhansi — historical city of Northern Bundelkhand
- Kanpur — once known as the "Manchester of India", now famous for its leather works and the IIT
- Mathura — birth Place of Lord Krishna
- Sarnath — the site of the Buddha Sakyamuni's first teaching after gaining enlightenment
- Bulandshahr — Holy Place of Mahabharata, Pandavas stayed here during Vanvas.
Kasganj and Bulandshahr are red links, so we can probably agree to remove them. But that would still leave 10 cities, and a user just added Faizabad, which I reverted pending agreement.
I am no expert on the state, but it's obvious to me that, in addition to listing Lucknow, the state capital, Agra and Varanasi must be listed. Of course, arguments can be made for all the others. So if you know the state well, which ones are least important? Sarnath is close to Varanasi and UP Tourism gives its 1991 population as having been 8,071. Even if it's doubled since then, it's still a very small town, and despite its historical importance, I found it pretty underwhelming to visit compared to Varanasi, from which it's an easy day trip, so I'd recommend deleting its listing. Should we leave all the rest other than the two red-linked places and Sarnath? What about Faizabad? Should we list it instead of one of the remaining 9 cities? Ikan Kekek (talk) 09:02, 16 September 2014 (UTC)
A Commons file used on this page has been nominated for deletionEdit
The following Wikimedia Commons file used on this page has been nominated for deletion: