Tallahassee is the capital city of Florida, in the Florida Panhandle region of the state. In addition to housing the state government, it is a university town home to Florida State University, Florida A&M University, and Tallahassee Community College. Tallahassee has a good selection of restaurants for a city of its size. The universities' theater, art, and music programs, in addition to an active Council of Culture and Arts, also make for an unusually vibrant arts scene.
- 1 Tallahassee Regional Airport (TLH IATA), 3300 Capital Cir SW, ☏ . There are non-stop flights to Tallahassee Municipal Airport from several cities: Atlanta, Charlotte, DFW, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and Washington DC.
- Tallahassee is on Interstate Highway 10.
- Greyhound has bus service
Tallahassee is not as pedestrian-friendly as some cities. Some areas of the city are more conducive for walking than others. Downtown, Midtown and Lake Ella are probably the most picturesque and convenient for walking.
By public busEdit
Tallahassee's public bus system is known as STAR Metro. The full schedule typically runs from about 6AM to 7 or 8PM during the week and about 7AM to 7PM on Saturdays. Routes and hours are limited after 7PM and on Sundays. To get anywhere other than Downtown or one of the university campuses typically requires at least one transfer.
There are several taxi companies serving Tallahassee. Outside of the airport there are not many taxi stands around the city, so it is better to call and arrange for a pick-up.
- 1 Florida Historic Capitol Museum, 400 S Monroe St (Monroe Street at Apalachee Parkway), ☏ . The state government has moved to the new skyscraper capital building nearby, and the old building has been made into a museum, restored to how it looked in 1902.
- 2 Florida State Capitol, 400 S Monroe St (Monroe Street at Apalachee Parkway), ☏ . The State Capitol is open Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM. Closed weekends and state holidays. Visit the 22nd floor for a panoramic view of Tallahassee. Stop on the 5th floor to see Florida's Legislative chambers.
- 3 National High Magnet Field Laboratory, 1800 E. Paul Dirac Dr, ☏ . The NHMFL at Florida State University houses the most powerful magnets on Earth. Tours available.
- 4 Tallahassee Museum of History and Natural Science, 3945 Museum Dr.
- 5 Tallahassee Automobile Museum, 6800 Mahan Dr (a short drive on Interstate-10 East of the main part of the city). Large collection of classic and antique cars and other curiosities.
- 6 Goodwood Museum & Gardens, 1600 Miccosukee Rd. The plantation home is now a historic house museum known as Goodwood Museum & Gardens that features original family furniture, porcelain, textiles, glassware, art and personal effects. The rooms have been decorated to appear in the years surrounding World War I. The house is visited by guided tour. The grounds cover 16 acres (65,000 m2), and the gardens also feature an early 20th-century design. Admission to the gardens is free.
- 7 Museum of Florida History, 500 S Bronough St, ☏ . "The Museum of Florida History collects, preserves, exhibits, and interprets evidence of past and present cultures in Florida, and promotes knowledge and appreciation of this heritage." free.
- 8 Knott House Museum, 301 East Park Ave, ☏ . Historic home constructed in 1843. free.
- 9 Lake Jackson Mounds Archaeological State Park, 3600 Indian Mounds Rd, ☏ .
- 10 Lake Talquin State Park, 14850 Jack Vause Landing Rd, ☏ .
- 11 Letchworth-Love Mounds Archaeological State Park, 4500 Sunray Road, South, ☏ .
- 12 Natural Bridge Battlefield Historic State Park, 7502 Natural Bridge Rd, ☏ .
- 13 St. Marks River Preserve State Park, 11950 Tram Rd, ☏ .
- Tallahassee Skate Park (Between James Messer Fields and TalTran Administrative Offices Jackson Bluff Road at Appleyard Drive). Sunrise to Midnight. A 26,000 square foot facility.
- 1 Lake Ella (in north central Tallahassee on US 27 just south of Tharpe Street). Lake Ella has an area of 12 acres (49,000 m²). Lake Ella is attached to 6.5 acre (26,000 m²) Fred Drake Park. The park has picnic shelters, a site for community activities and a paved walking trail that completely encircles the lake. The lake is bordered on the west side by quaint little shops and cafes. One vendor is the Black Dog Cafe where joggers can get a cup of coffee for their morning run around the trail. Visitors can walk, skate, or skateboard around the lake.
- 2 Maclay Gardens (Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park), 3450 Thomasville Rd (In north Tallahassee near I-10 and Capital Circle), ☏ . Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park has at its heart the winter home and gardens of Maclay and his wife Louise. The house is open to the public as an interpretive museum. The surrounding gardens are known especially for their camellias and magnolias. Other than the gardens, the park offers biking, hiking and equestrian trails as well as kayaking, canoeing and fishing among other activities. The park is open all year round during most daylight hours. The gardens are open all year round 9AM-5PM.
- 1 Governor's Square, 1500 Apalachee Parkway.
- 2 Centre of Tallahassee, 2415 N. Monroe St. Formerly known as the Tallahassee Mall
- 3 Railroad Square (Railroad Square Art Park), 567 Industrial Dr (Between the FSU and FAMU campuses on Railroad Ave.), ☏ . The Railroad Square Art Park is a collection of studios, galleries and other unique shops. On the first Friday of each month Railroad Square hosts a gallery hop called First Friday. Businesses stay open late and offer live music and even food.
- Sakura Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar, 1318 N Monroe St, ☏ .
- Happy Wok, 3813 N. Monroe St, ☏ .
- Mori Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, 2810 Sharer Rd # 8, ☏ .
- 1 Osaka Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, 1690 Raymond Diehl Rd, ☏ .
- Chou's Dynasty, 3507 Maclay Blvd. S, ☏ .
- 2 Bahn Thai Restaurant, 1319 S. Monroe St, ☏ .
- 3 Masa, 1650 N Monroe St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 Jim & Milt's Bar-B-Q, 1923 W. Pensacola St, ☏ . 11AM-9PM.
- Another Broken Egg Cafe, 3500 Kinhega Dr, ☏ .
- Coosh's Bayou Rouge Market & Eatery, 6267 Old Water Oak Rd, ☏ .
- 5 Carlos' Cuban Cafe, 2743 Capital Cir, ☏ .
- 6 Gordo's, 1907 West Pensacola St, ☏ , ✉ comments@GordosCubanFood.com.
- 7 Black Dog Cafe, 229 Lake Ella Dr, ☏ .
- Lucy and Leo's Cupcakery, 1123 Thomasville Rd, ☏ .
- 8 Au Peche Mignon, 220 North Duval St, ☏ . Coffee, tea and French pastries.
- 9 Andrew's, 228 S. Adams St, ☏ .
- 10 Clusters and Hops, 707 N. Monroe St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 11 The Cypress Restaurant, 320 E. Tennessee St, ☏ .
- Food Glorious Food, 1950-C Thomasville Rd (Betton Place), ☏ .
- 12 Kool Beanz Cafe, 921 Thomasville Rd, ☏ .
- [formerly dead link] Samrat Indian Restaurant, 2529 Apalachee Pkwy, ☏ .
- 13 Essence of India, 1105 Apalachee Parkway, ☏ .
- 14 Bella Bella, 123 E. Fifth Ave, ☏ .
- Z. Bardhi's, 3596 Kinhega Dr, ☏ .
- Mom & Dad's Italian Restaurant, 3421 Bannerman Rd, ☏ .
- Los Compadres, 2102 W Pensacola St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 15 San Miguel, 200 W. Tharpe St, ☏ .
- 16 Cabo's Island Grill and Bar, 1221 Apalachee Pkwy, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 17 Crystal River Seafood, 2721 N. Monroe St, ☏ .
- Georgio's, 2971 Apalachee Pkwy, ☏ .
- 18 Ted's Montana Grill, 1954 Village Green Way, ☏ .
- Bullwinkle's, 620 W. Tennessee St.
- Leon Pub, 215 E 6th Ave, ☏ . A smoking-friendly pub with dozens, if not hundreds, of beer selections from all over the world.
- Waterworks, 1133 Thomasville Rd, ☏ . A funky tiki bar with the occasional great live music act.
- Bajas Beachclub (at the intersection of Pensacola St and Ocala Rd). A trendy, yet sketchy, night club.
- Fermentation Lounge (All Saints District). A hip, but still down-to-earth lounge featuring a wide selection of wines and beers and even harder to find items such as mead, sangria and ciders.
- 1 Best Western Pride Inn & Suites, 2016 Apalachee Pkwy, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- 2 Comfort Suites, 1026 Apalachee Pkwy, ☏ , fax: . 100% smoke free, exercise room, free high-speed wireless internet access, seasonal outdoor pool.
- 3 Courtyard Tallahassee Capital, 1018 Apalachee Pkwy, ☏ , fax: .
- 4 Econo Lodge, 809 Apalachee Pkwy, ☏ , fax: . Pet-friendly hotel, and free high-speed internet access in all rooms.
- 5 Econo Lodge North, 2681 N. Monroe St, ☏ , fax: . Pet-friendly hotel, and free high-speed internet access in all rooms.
- 6 Hilton Garden Inn, 1330 Blairstone Rd, ☏ , fax: .
- 7 Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol, 1355 Apalachee Pkwy, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 2725 Graves Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 8 Motel 6 Tallahassee - Downtown, 1027 Apalachee Pkwy, ☏ , fax: .
- 9 Motel 6 Tallahassee West, 2738 N Monroe St, ☏ , fax: .
- 10 Quality Inn, 3090 North Monroe St, ☏ , fax: . Pet-friendly, free high-speed wireless internet access, seasonal outdoor pool.
- 11 Residence Inn Tallahassee North I-10 Capital Circle, 1880 Raymond Diehl Road, ☏ , fax: . Free high-speed wireless internet access, indoor pool, pet-friendly, full kitchen.
- Sleep Inn, 1695 Capital Circle N.W, ☏ , fax: . Pet-friendly, free high-speed wireless internet access, seasonal outdoor pool.
- 12 Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, 522 Silver Slipper Ln, ☏ , fax: . Seasonal outdoor pool, and free internet access in all rooms.
- 13 Tallahassee Microtel Inn & Suites, 3216 North Monroe S, ☏ , fax: .
- 14 SpringHill Suites Tallahassee Central, 1300 Executive Center Dr ,, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12noon. All-suites hotel in downtown. Spacious rooms, free hot breakfast, swimming pool, free internet, meeting facilities, and Florida vacation packages. $110.
- Apalachicola National Forest
- The Gulf Coast is less than 1 hour south
- Monticello, Florida is about 35 minutes east.
- Thomasville, Georgia about 30 minutes northeast.
- Bainbridge, Georgia about 30 minutes northwest.
- Wakulla Springs lodge, 20 minutes south of Tallahassee
|Routes through Tallahassee|
|Pensacola ← Quincy ←||W E||→ Jct N S → Lake City → Jacksonville|
|Columbus ← Bainbridge ←||N S||→ Ocala → Miami|
|Pensacola ← Quincy ←||W E||→ Lake City → Jacksonville|
|Apalachicola ← Crawfordville ←||SW NE||→ Thomasville → Tifton|