A small market town whose origins go back to before the Doomsday Book (Tring being the dominant settlement of the Hundred of Tring). The town is located in a gap in the Chiltern Hills (known as The Tring Gap) and is on the Ackerman St (the Roman Road, now the A41) A great town but more catering to its commuter residents than focusing on tourism.
Tring is close to the A41 highway and fourteen miles from the M25 motorway. It is also 40 miles from Central London, the United Kingdom's capital, to the southeast. Tring is ten miles from Aylesbury and 26 miles from Bicester to the west.
There are a couple off-ramps from the A41 that connect to roads in Tring.
- 1 Railway Station, Station Rd, Tring HP23 5QR. The main train line from London Euston to Milton Keynes stops at Tring Station. The station is a couple of miles out of the town so you will need to arrange transport from the station into Tring. During the week day commute you can get a bus, otherwise it will be a taxi. M-Sa 3 trains per hr to London & 2 trains per hr to Milton Keynes; Su 2 per hr to London, 1 per hr to Milton Keynes.
The town has an extensive network of local cycle routes that connect to Regional Cycle Route 30, Regional Cycle Route 3 and National Cycle Route 57 running from Farmington, Gloucestershire near Northleach to Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire.
The Grand Union Canal passes about 1.5km east of the town.
Tring is small enough that you can walk around. If you want to visit the surrounding area you will need a car.
- 1 Natural History Museum at Tring, The Walter Rothschild Building, Akeman St, Tring HP23 6AP, ☏ . M-Sa 10:00-17:00. Su 14:00-17:00. Home to the Natural History Museums bird collection and the Walter Rothschild collection of stuffed animals in a Victorian setting. Free.
- 2 Tring Park Woods, Park Road (Accessed and signposted at the end of Park Road, 10 min walk from National History Museum. OS Grid ref SP929102). Woodland trust land on the edge of Tring which is signposted and open to the public. Cows are often grazing in the fields so dogs should be kept under control at all times.
- 3 Pitstone Windmill, Ivinghoe, (4 miles north east of Tring), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 4 Ashridge Estate, Moneybury Hill, Ringshall, near Berkhamsted, HP4 1LX (5 miles E of Tring), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Estate is open all year. Free.
- Local Community Events. For events in the community the town council web site lists them all
- 1 Court Theatre at Pendley, Station Road, Tring HP23 5QY, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Variety of concerts through out the year.
- 2 [dead link] Sportspace, Mortimer Hill, Tring HP23 5JU, ☏ . M-F 06:15-08:00 & 16:30-22:15. Sa 09:00-20:15. Su 09:00-21:30. Sports facilities and Swimming Pool open to the public when not being used by the school. Free parking
- 3 Champneys Health Spa, Chesham Rd, Wigginton HP23 6HX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Maybe not for those on limited budgets
The shops in Tring tend to be more practical and aimed at people who live and work in the area. For example there is a small bookshop, some interior design related shops, a couple of ironmongers, and a stationers. There are a large number of charity shops and estate agents. There are also a number of travel related businesses in and around Tring High Street.
- 1 The Akeman, 9 Akeman St, Tring HP23 6AA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Pub: M-Sa 08:00-00:00. Su 09:00-23:00; Food: M-Sa 08:00-22:00. Su 09:00-21:00. Pub and restaurant at night. Also does coffee, breakfast and lunch.
- 2 The Black Horse, Frogmore St, Tring HP23 5AZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Food: M-Th 12:00-15:00 & 18:00-21:30. F-Sa 12:00-21:00. Su 12:00-18:00. Pub & Food
- 3 [dead link] Francesco's, 53 High St, Tring HP23 5AG, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M 18:00-23:00, Tu-Sa 10:30-15:00 & 18:00-23:00. Su 12:00-23:00. Italian Restaurant
- 1 The Robin Hood, 1 Brook St, Tring HP23 5ED, ☏ , ✉ Info@therobinhoodtring.co.uk. Pub: M-Th 11:30-23:00. F 11:30-23:30. Sa 12:00-23:30. Su 12:00-23:00; Food: M-F 12:00-14:15 & 18:00-21:15. Sa 12:00-21:15. Su 12:00-14:15. Pub & Food
- 2 The Expresso Lounge, 56 High St, Tring HP23 5AG, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 09:00-17:00. Su 10:00-16:00. Coffee Shop
- 3 The King's Arms, King St, Tring HP23 6BE, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Pub: M-Th 12:00-14:30 & 17:30-23:30. F 12:00-14:30 & 17:00-23:30. Sa-Su 12:00-23:30 Food: shorter hours. Pub & Food
- 4 The Anglers Retreat, Startops End, Marsworth HP23 4LJ (2 miles N of Tring), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub; Wi-Fi
- 1 Premier Travel Inn, Tring Hill, Tring HP23 4LD (On the A41 just outside Tring), ☏ (premium). Free Wi-Fi From £41/night.
- 2 Pendley Manor Hotel, Cow Lane, Tring HP23 5QY (Between Tring and Tring Station), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Folly Farm (B&B), Northfield Road, Aldbury HP23 5QJ (2½ miles NE of Tring), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Single from £55, double from £80 (per night).
- 1 Post Office, 19 The High St, Tring HP23 5AH. M 09:00-18:00. Tu 09:00-17:30. W 09:00-18:00. Th F 09:00-17:30. Sa 09:00-13:30.
|Routes through Tring|
|Aylesbury ←||NW SE||→ Berkhamsted → Hemel Hempstead|