The City of Twentynine Palms (also known as 29 Palms) is home to the headquarters and main entrance of Joshua Tree National Park. Situated in the Morongo Basin in the Mojave Desert, the city is renowned for its beautiful natural surroundings, desert and mountain vistas and its world-class murals and artists.
Twentynine Palms is also home to the largest United States Marine Corps base, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
At an elevation of more than 1,900 ft (580 m) above sea level, Twentynine Palms has a slightly cooler climate, especially during winter, than Palm Springs, but with essentially the same subtropical desert characteristics. On average, temperatures reach 100 °F (38 °C) on 89 days, 90 °F (32 °C) on 154 days, and the freezing mark on 17 nights annually. Extremes range from 10 °F (−12 °C) on December 23, 1990, to 118 °F (48 °C) on July 11, 1961. Winters are moderately cool, with highs in the 60s °F and the lows in the 40s °F. Summers are hot, with high temperatures above 100 °F (38 °C). The wettest month is August with 0.65 in (17 mm) inches of rain, mostly from monsoon thunderstorms.
Get in Edit
By car Edit
From the east, CA 62 comes from the Arizona-California state line by Parker, AZ. Visitors from the Las Vegas area could travel south on US 95 to CA 62 just west of the AZ-CA state line. Visitors from central Arizona, such as from Phoenix, would take I-10 to Desert Center (at Jct I-10 and CA 177), north on CA 177 to CA 62, then west on CA 62 to Twentynine Palms.
By bus Edit
There is a limited bus network, run by the Morongo Basin Transit Authority (MBTA). There's an hourly service from Yucca Valley, where it is possible to connect with Palm Springs.
By plane Edit
The closest passenger airport is:
Further afield are:
Get around Edit
Most visitors would travel around by car.
- 1 29 Palms Art Gallery, 74005 Cottonwood Dr (Cottonwood Dr at National Park Dr), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Th-Su 11AM-3PM.
- Murals (along Highway 62 between Smoketree Ave and Yucca Ave). The town has series of 26 murals painted on the sides of buildings all around town that present the history and personalities of the town. There is a sign listing the location of all the murals on the north side of Highway 62 between Smoketree Ave and Yucca Ave. Free.
- 2 Old Schoolhouse Museum (Twentynine Palms Historical Society), 6760 National Park Dr, ☏ . in Sep-May: W-Su 1-4PM; Jun-Aug: F-Su 1-4PM. Free admission. — The Old Schoolhouse is the oldest public building in the Morongo Basin area having come into existence in 1927. The school began in the truest pioneering fashion. After being denied requested funds from San Bernardino County, the inhabitants of the surrounding area decided to take matters into their own hands. Working solely on the assistance and altruism of the community, the one-room schoolhouse was born, hosting eight students, hailing from different corners of the Morongo Basin. The Schoolhouse is now home to a museum and gift shop operated by the Twentynine Palms Historical Society. Exhibits center around the groups that were important to the history of the Twentynine Palms area: the Native Americans, miners, cattlemen, homesteaders, and military.
There is a variety of lodging available in Twentynine Palms. For camping, see camping options in Joshua Tree National Park.
- 1 29 Palms Inn, 73950 Inn Ave, ☏ . Located around the Oasis of Mara, at the Northern entrance to the park. Established in 1929, 29 Palms Inn is a historic collection of wood and adobe cabins with a restaurant/bar and swimming pool available on the grounds. The focus of the Inn is on the slow pace of the desert and the community of people who come to visit. Minimizing distractions of the outside world, the rooms do not come with telephones, radios, clocks, and only very small, black-and-white, televisions without cable.
- 2 Best Western Gardens Motel, 71487 29 Palms Highway, ☏ , fax: .
- 3 Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, 6333 Encelia Ave, ☏ .
- 4 Joshua Desert Retreats. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. 12 vacation rental homes in the Wonder Valley on the east side of town, minutes to the Northern entrance of Joshua Tree National Park and Twentynine Palms Marine Base. All of the houses are on 5-15 acres and are fully furnished to give guests a real desert experience without sacrificing modern comforts.
- 5 Harmony Motel, 71161 Twentynine Palms Highway, ☏ .
- 6 Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 71809 Twentynine Palms Highway, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. The rooms are large and the beds are comfortable. The hotel has a small, heated pool that is half in the sun and half in the shade allowing guests to cool off without getting sunburned. There is a small fitness center as well. Free breakfast consisting of both hot and cold food items is offered. The hotel is very handicapped-accessible with several rooms featuring roll-in showers and lifts for both the pool and the spa. $120-180.
- 7 Motel 6, 72562 Twentynine Palms Highway, ☏ , fax: .
- 8 Oasis Inn & Suites, 71809 Twentynine Palms Highway, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 9 El Rancho Dolores Motel, 73352 Twentynine Palms Highway, ☏ .
Go next Edit
- Joshua Tree National Park, south — The large national park south of the town is home to two desert ecosystems and is a favorite for campers, hikers, and rock-climbers.
- Amboy and Route 66, north — The Mother Road routes through the California desert north of Twentynine Palms.
- Mojave National Preserve, north beyond Amboy — Sand dunes, mountain ranges, and mesas with three types of deserts: the Mojave, Great Basin, and Sonoran.
|Routes through Twentynine Palms|
|Palm Springs ← Yucca Valley ← Joshua Tree Village ←||W E||→ Jct N S → becomes → Jct N S|