Viking, population 990 (2021) is approximately 120 km (75 mi) east of Edmonton. The town also lends its name to the Viking Formation, an oil bearing stratigraphical unit. It was settled in 1909 by Scandinavian settlers from Norway and is largely and agricultural community. Viking is also home to the Sutter family, a ice hockey family from which six brothers played professional hockey in the NHL.
Get in Edit
By car Edit
Viking is located at the intersection of Highway 14 (Poundmaker Trail) and Highway 36 (Veterans Memorial Highway).
By plane Edit
- 1 Viking Airport (5.6 km (3.5 mi) NW of Viking). There are no scheduled passenger flights, the nearest international airport is Edmonton.
By train Edit
- VIA Rail Canada, toll-free: . Operates train routes across Canada. Operates The Canadian up to three trips per week between Toronto and Vancouver with stops in both directions in medium to large cities and tourist destinations such as Sudbury, Winnipeg, Portage la Prairie, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Jasper, and Kamloops.
Get around Edit
- Viking Historical Museum, 5180 61 Avenue, ☏ . May-September: F-Tu 10AM-5PM.
- 1 Viking Ribstones (Viking Ribstones Archeological Site), Beaver County (2.4 km (1.5 mi) S of Hwy 26 on Rge Rd 120A; 18 km (11 mi) SE of Viking). Near Viking, on the top of a hill at the highest point in the area, stand the only ribstones in Alberta. Also known as Boulder Petroglyphs, ribstones are two large stones carved in the shape of an animal's rib cage. These ancient monuments have remained in place just a few kilometres from Viking, Alberta for thousands of years. Historically, the Indigenous people of the plains were dependent on the bison. They revered the spirit of Old Man Buffalo, expressing their prayers and gratitude at the ribstone shrines.
- Viking Tea House and Station Gallery, 5001 51 Avenue (CNR railway station), ☏ . Located in the old CNR railway station, the gallery features original work from local artists with a collection of original Scandinavian Rosemaling items.
Eat & drink Edit
- Food With Flair Catering, 5307 50 Street, ☏ . Daily 10AM-7PM.
- La Piazza Donair and Sandwich, 5024 50 Street, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-8PM.
- 1 Camp Lake Park, Range Road 112, Beaver County (18 km east on Hwy 619 & 2 km north on RR 112), ☏ .
- Eastview Campground, 4723 55 Avenue, ☏ , Eastview.Campground@viking.ca. 18 fully serviced sites and tenting sites.
- Viking Visitor Information, 5001 51 Avenue (CN Station Gallery & Arts Centre), ☏ . Open April-November.
Bruce is a small hamlet 21 km (13 mi) west of Viking on Highway 14.
- 2 Bruce Stampede, Bruce Stampede Grounds (1 km east of Bruce along Hwy 14), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Established in 1914, the Bruce Stampede has hosted riders, ropers, racers, and the bravest cowboys and cowgirls the Rodeo World has to offer. The Bruce Stampede is Canada's oldest one-day professional rodeo.
- 1 Bruce Hotel, 104 Main Street, Bruce, ☏ . F Sa noon-midnight. Built in 1911, the Bruce Hotel has been an icon in Central Alberta for over 100 years. Self-proclaimed as "Alberta's best steak", the hotel serves top grade AAA Canadian beef grilled to order. People will drive up to 100 km from Edmonton and only operates Friday and Saturday evenings, so reservations are highly recommended.
Kinsella is a small hamlet 21 km (13 mi) east of Viking on Highway 14.
- 2 Roy Berg Kinsella Research Ranch (Rangeland Research Institute), 11222 Township Road 465, Beaver County (north end of Main Street, just outside Kinsella). The Rangeland Research Institute (RRI) is administered by the Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences at the University of Alberta and conducts research, teaching and outreach in support of the long-term sustainability of rangelands. The Roy Berg Kinsella Research Ranch was established in 1960 as a beef cattle breeding facility, and is now home to a herd of approximately 850 head of cattle, each of which has been genetically sequenced.
Go next Edit
|Routes through Viking|
|Vancouver ← Edmonton ←||W E||→ Wainwright → Saskatoon|
|Edmonton ← Tofield ←||W E||→ Wainwright → The Battlefords|
|END ← Camrose ←||W E||→ ENDS at|
|Lac La Biche ← Kalyna Country ← Jct W E ←||N S||→ Jct W → Hanna → Taber|