Wikivoyage:Tourist office

Welcome to the tourist office

The Wikivoyage tourist office is a place where you can ask travel-related questions about any place in the world. Wikivoyage volunteers will do their best to find the relevant information (or just reply off the top of their expert heads) and reply to you.

Before you ask your question here, be sure to search our travel guide for the destination or topic you're considering. Many questions are already answered within our guides! In addition, some of our destinations have docents who have volunteered to answer questions about specific places. If neither of those avenues bear fruit, then please ask away!

This page is for travel-related questions only. Information on how to contribute to Wikivoyage is at Help:Contents, while questions about Wikivoyage itself may be posed at the Pub. Queries regarding general information on non-travel topics may be made at Wikipedia's Reference desk; some topics tangentially related to travel include:

  • the Humanities desk, which deals with geopolitics, culture, and human geography
  • the Science desk, which deals with natural processes, physical geography, and engineering (vehicles, transportation design, etc.)

Please note that we can not guarantee a response and can not be held liable for incorrect or outdated information.

Answered questions will be moved to the Archives after two weeks of inactivity.

Want a faster answer?

How can I get my question answered?

  • Explain clearly what you want to know.
  • Provide a short heading that gives the general topic of the question.
  • Tell us what part of the world your question applies to.
  • Don't post personal contact information – it will be removed. We'll answer here within a few days.
  • Don't post questions that common sense or a search engine can answer in a couple of seconds.

Minimum requirements from moving from IND-AUSEdit

What are the minimum requirements for a person from India to move to Australia Asked by: 2405:201:1D:6080:CCEA:6CE5:C15:2E87 08:19, 23 May 2021 (UTC)Ajay2405:201:1D:6080:CCEA:6CE5:C15:2E87 08:19, 23 May 2021 (UTC)

That's not a tourism question, nor should you trust any random person on the Internet to provide you a reliable answer for such an important question. Contact the nearest Australian consulate after COVID-19-related travel restrictions are ended and ask them. Ikan Kekek (talk) 08:35, 23 May 2021 (UTC)
At this point, you'd need to be a skilled migrant, and currently all visitors from India are banned, including Aussie citizens. Also read this for a more detailed response.
However, the borders aren't going to open until the winter of 2022 (Jun-Jul) at this point, and it depends on when the next Federal election. Until then, there's not much possibility from any country apart from NZ, PNG or Nauru. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | en.wikipedia) 10:40, 23 May 2021 (UTC)
I agree with what Ikan Kekek and SHB2000 say. Asking how to move from one country to another is not tourism, and is blatantly off topic for this travel guide. You should ask someone else. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.--JTZegers (talk) 20:15, 4 June 2021 (UTC)
130% agree with JTZegers, and asking somewhat here, who may not give you a reliable answer can have significant impacts on your life. Moving countries is a major part of your life, and you should ask someone who knows better. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | en.wikipedia) 06:08, 12 June 2021 (UTC)

Does anyone know when will China reopen to international students?Edit

I got accepted into a Chinese university! Does anyone know when will China reopen to international students? Asked by: Félix An (talk) 22:39, 2 June 2021 (UTC)

You'll need to contact the Chinese embassy/consulate in your country for details. You'll need to apply for a student visa to study in China, and they can advise you when you apply for your visa. My hunch is that China will only open up to international tourists next year, when they have vaccinated most of their population (a colossal undertaking, given that they have 1.4 billion people), but they might open to students earlier. If this is any indication, I have relatives who have travelled to China for business, but they have to go through the 2-week quarantine at their own expense. The dog2 (talk) 22:49, 2 June 2021 (UTC)
That's not a travel related question, nor should you trust a random person on the internet to give you an answer. But in this case, just use User:The dog2's advice here. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | en.wikipedia) 07:43, 3 June 2021 (UTC)
We actually do cover study abroad to a degree on this site, but I surely agree with not trusting random people on the Internet. Ikan Kekek (talk) 08:13, 3 June 2021 (UTC)
Furthermore, your university will almost certainly be able to advise you on when you can travel to China and when they want you to show up for class.--ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 08:38, 3 June 2021 (UTC)
And I'll tell you something else: You might have to pass a COVID-19 test upon arrival in China.--JTZegers (talk) 20:21, 4 June 2021 (UTC)
Not too sure on how many in China, but in some countries, it's 3 per quarantine period. You may also need to be vaccinated as well. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | en.wikipedia) 02:20, 5 June 2021 (UTC)
We have an article on Studying in China and one on the COVID-19 pandemic which covers travel restrictions. Both might be of some help, but neither should be your sole source of info on what it covers. In particular, COVID rules vary from place to place and change often. Your best info sources are your university and the Chinese government.
I can tell you that I talked to a good Chinese travel agent last week & she said no tourist visas were being issued. I did not ask about other visas. Pashley (talk) 09:38, 10 June 2021 (UTC)
I know work visas are being issued. I don't know about student visas. But this is really a question for the university. —Granger (talk · contribs) 16:44, 10 June 2021 (UTC)

Bringing alcohol from SwedenEdit

It has become apparent that I probably need to go to business trips from Finland to Sweden next year, probably starting from summer.

Going on trips abroad is otherwise a good opportunity to bring back duty-free alcohol, but Sweden has issued a law that forbids buying duty-free alcohol on intra-EU flights from Sweden.

There was a similar problem for me some years ago when I was coming home from Germany with a flight change stop in Sweden along the way. I solved the problem by buying the alcohol already in Germany and keeping it sealed the whole time. But this doesn't apply in this case.

Some countries, such as Austria, have a service where you can buy the alcohol already when departing and only pick it up when coming back. But Finland does not have this.

There is no problem with duty-free alcohol on ships but I very much doubt my employer would allow me to go on business trips by ship as aeroplanes are much faster and so I won't waste company time.

Is there any way to do this? Asked by: JIP (talk) 20:45, 19 June 2021 (UTC)

If duty free is allowed on flights to Sweden, then you could buy the alcohol on the way out, and put it in your checked-in luggage for the trip home. This may mean that you have to pay for checked baggage when you wouldn't otherwise, but you may be able to justify this as a business expense. AlasdairW (talk) 23:09, 19 June 2021 (UTC)
Is tax-free possible on intra-EU flights? Is there tax-wise any difference between flying to Stockholm and flying to Rovaniemi? I don't think it is a Swedish thing, but an EU thing. The boats have tax-free sales, but that is because they leave the EU tax zone by going via Åland. –LPfi (talk) 06:46, 20 June 2021 (UTC)
I'm quite sure tax-free shopping isn't possible unless you will travel outside the EU (or the EU VAT area, which Åland isn't part of). In the European countries where alcohol is otherwise more regulated (read: Nordic countries) the airport shops won't sell you any alcoholic beverages when you travel inside the EU. At the other side of the Baltic Sea they will but add the local tax(es) on top of it, and over there it's cheaper to do your shopping in a normal supermarket than at the airport in the first place. --Ypsilon (talk) 09:07, 20 June 2021 (UTC)
Duty-free doesn't exist inside the EU single market (the clue is in the name - single market - no internal tariffs or excise duties are possible), and anywhere that claims to offer duty-free shopping when you're travelling from one member state to another is conning you. There are, however, no limits on the amount of alcohol you can take with you around the EU as long as it's all for personal use.[1]--ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 10:58, 20 June 2021 (UTC)
Again, the EU VAT zone, i.e. not Åland. Personal use is often regarded to include what you need for your guests, so quite extraordinary amounts may be accepted if you are good at talking (but selling even to friends is not personal use). If you raise suspicions, though, you may have a hard time if you told you were going to get married, or have your 50-years celebration as 47. Anyway, bringing booze from Systembolaget is hardly good business. –LPfi (talk) 12:58, 20 June 2021 (UTC)