city in Taylor and Jones counties in Texas, United States
- For other places with the same name, see Abilene (disambiguation).
Abilene is a city in the North Central Plains of Texas, possibly best known as the destination the fictional family of the Abilene paradox travels to.
- 1 Abilene Regional Airport (ABI IATA) (Hwy 36 & Loop 322). American Eagle provides service to Dallas/Fort Worth.
- From Dallas and Fort Worth: Take I-30 West towards Weatherford. Between Fort Worth and Weatherford, I-30 ends. Continue West on I-20 towards Abilene. Time: 2½-hr, depending on traffic and where you start.
- From San Angelo: Take US-277 North to Abilene. Time: about 1½ hr.
- From Lubbock: Take US-84 to Sweetwater, there US-84 merges with I-20. Continue on I-20 East until US-84 brakes off of I-20 and continue on US-84. Time: about 3 hr.
- From San Antonio: Take I-10 West to Comfort. At Comfort, use exit 523 and take US-87 North to Brady. In Brady, take US-283 North to Coleman. In Coleman take US-84 to Abilene. Time: 4 hr depending on traffic.
- 1 Abilene Zoo, 2070 Zoo Ln (in Nelson Park), ☏ +1 325 676-6085. Fifth largest zoo in the state.
- T&P Depot, 1101 N. 1st St, ☏ +1 325 676-2556. This historic depot was built by the Texas & Pacific Railroad in 1910. In 1967 the last passenger train left the depot with a total of 39 passengers on board. In 1994 the exterior of the depot was restored to its exact appearance during the 1920s. The depot is the home of the Abilene Convention and Visitors Bureau and Cultural Affairs Council. Admission is free.
- Western Heritage Classic, 1700 Highway 36 (At the Expo Center of Taylor County), ☏ +1 325 677-4376. A unique 4-day event held in early May to preserve western heritage. Includes a ranch rodeo, a chuckwagon cookoff, a bit and spur show, cowboy poetry, western art show, and a western parade.
- 2 Abilene Christian University, 1600 Campus Ct (Take Judge Ely Blvd north from Business 20. ACU will be on your left just north of EN 16th street.), ☏ +1 325 674-2000. Expansive and well-maintained campus. Unique and beautiful architecture mixes with a large number of artworks. A 1.86 mile walking trail encircles the campus. Various theatrical, musical and athletic events occur throughout the year.
- 3 Hardin-Simmons University, 2200 Hickory St, ☏ +1 325 670-1000. Founded in 1891, HSU is a private Baptist liberal arts university. With a small, beautiful campus, HSU is worth a peek.
- 4 McMurry University, 1401 Sayles Blvd, ☏ +1 325 793-3800. Founded in 1923, McMurry is a small, tightly knit community of students and educators in Abilene's bustling south side.
- 5 Historic Fort Phantom Hill, 10818 FM600, ☏ +1 325 677-1309. Spooky remnants of an abandoned 19th Century Confederate and US Army frontier fort. There is also the turbid Fort Phantom Hill Lake along the way for those desperate for a swim.
- 1 Buffalo Gap Historic Village, 133 N Willams St. (Take Buffalo Gap Road (FM-89) south for 9 miles and follow the signs), ☏ +1 325 572-3365. M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Sunday noon-5PM. Adult $5, senior/military $4, students (K-12) $3, children under 5 years free.
- Century 12 by Cinemark, 3818 John Knox Dr, ☏ +1 325 793-9292. Abilene's newest and largest theater. All stadium seating.
- Abilene PREMIERE LUX Cine 10 Abilene Mall, 4310 Buffalo Gap Rd, ☏ +1 325 695-2122. 10-screen theater in the Mall of Abilene. Renovated, with all stadium seating. There is a great bar/restaurant next door for easy post-movie lounging.
- Carmike Park Central 6, 3234 S Clack St, ☏ +1 325 698-3540. 6-screen theater. All stadium seating.
- 2 The Grace Museum, 102 Cypress St, ☏ +1 325 673-4587. 3 museums under one roof: an art museum, a history museum and an interactive children's museum spread out over the three floors of the beautiful former Grace Hotel built in 1909.
- 3 Historic Paramount Theater, 352 Cypress St, ☏ +1 325 676-9620. Beautiful art-deco theater built in 1930 by H.O. Wooten whose namesake skyscraper looms overhead. The Paramount plays host to a slew of theatrical and musical productions, and to screenings of classic and contemporary films. The 2,000-seat auditorium is built to look like an outdoor Spanish courtyard, complete with twinkling stars and drifting clouds on the ceiling.
- 4 National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature, 102 Cedar St, ☏ +1 325 673-4586, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 10-4. A small but wonderful museum showcasing the works of children's authors and illustrators. The NCCIL ("nickel") has played host to everyone from the Bernstein Bears to the works of Eric Carle. Exhibits are rotational and admission is free. One block from the Grace Museum. Free.
- 5 Frontier Texas!, 625 N 1st St, ☏ +1 325 437-2800. M-Sa 9AM-6M, Su 1PM-5PM. A museum that tries to encapsulate life as it was on the Western frontier around Abilene, with a museum, gift shop, visitor center, and theater showing "Blood and Treasure on the Frontier." Out front you'll find a buffalo statue and grounds for the Abilene farmer's market. $10 adults, $7 seniors, $6 students, $5 ages 3-12.
- 1 Mall of Abilene, 4310 Buffalo Gap Rd. Anchored by JCPenney, Sears, Dillard's, Best Buy and Books-A-Million. Home to dozens of smaller specialty clothing and gift stores and restaurants.
- The Shops at Abilene, 3417 Catclaw Dr. Anchored by Bed Bath & Beyond, Ross, Old Navy, Petsmart, Michael's and Beall's. Also home to The Children's Place, James Avery, Shoe Carnival, Rue21, Catherine's, Lane Bryant, Payless Shoes, Oreck, AT&T, Red Robin, Coldstone Creamery, Gamestop, SportClips, Smoothie King and several others. Wal-Mart is at the same intersection and Kohl's is just down the street.
- Walmart South, 4350 Southwest Dr, ☏ +1 325 695-3092.
- Walmart North, 1650 State Highway 351, ☏ +1 325 670-0758.
- Bogie's, 241 Cypress St, ☏ +1 325 672-3296. Custom-made sandwiches on fresh-baked bread.
- Cypress Street Station, 158 Cypress St, ☏ +1 325 676-3463. Popular local barbecue/steakhouse.
- Lytle Land & Cattle Co, 1150 E South 11th St, ☏ +1 325 677-1925. Great steak and seafood.
- Szechuan Chinese Restaurant, 3425 S 1st St, ☏ +1 325 673-9100. Decent Chinese fare with large portions.
- 1 Perini Ranch Steakhouse, 3002 FM 89 (South of Abilene), ☏ +1 325-572-3339. Famously good steaks. Voted best burger in America by the Today show in 2009. Catered several of President Bush's events.
- 2 The Beehive, 442 Cedar St, ☏ +1 325-675-0600. Wonderful and well-priced casual fine dining in the heart of downtown.
- Copper Creek, 4401 Loop 322, ☏ +1 325 692-4424. closed Sundays. Fine Texas dining: unsurpassed atmosphere and wonderful waitstaff coupled with delicious food and potent drinks.
- Sharky's Burrito Inc, 1095 North Judge Ely Blvd, ☏ +1 325 676-7330. 11AM-9PM. The college-town burrito joint inside United Supermarkets. Try the local improvement on Chipotle. Go for the seasoned chips and Spicy Ranch. Ask for the Kid's Burrito, its plenty big. 6.00.
- Remington's Lounge, 4250 Ridgemont Dr, ☏ +1 325 698-1234. Inside the impressive MCM Elegante Suites, Remington's is a popular local hotspot.
- Breakers Sports Bar, 1874 S Clack St, ☏ +1 325 692-2980. Th-Tu 2PM-Midnight. Expansive sports bar with pool tables, darts and numerous TVs.
- 1 Candlewood Suites, 3050 Catclaw Dr, ☏ +1 325-437-4741, toll-free: +1-800-881-9725.
- Comfort Inn & Suites Regional Medical Center, 6350 Directors Pkwy, ☏ +1 325-232-8801.
- Comfort Suites (North), 1902 E Overland Trl, ☏ +1 325 672-0338.
- Courtyard by Marriot, 4350 Ridgemont Dr (across from the Mall of Abilene), ☏ +1 325 695-9600. Quaint, quiet and comfortable hotel.
- Hampton Inn, 3917 Ridgemont Dr (just west of US 83/84), ☏ +1 325 695-0044.
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 3526 West Lake Rd (just off of I-20 in far north Abilene), ☏ +1 325 673-4400.
- Hilton Garden Inn, 4449 Ridgemont Dr, ☏ +1 325 690-6432. Large rooms, convention space and an indoor pool.
- Holiday Inn Express (North), 1802 E. Overland Trail (just off of I-20), ☏ +1 325 675-9800.
- Holiday Inn Express (South), 3112 South Clack St (Just off of US 83/84), ☏ +1 325 695-0500, toll-free: +1-877-863-4780.
- LaQuinta Inn & Suites, 3018 Catclaw Ave, ☏ +1 325 437-4832.
- MCM Elegante Suites, 4250 Ridgemont Dr (across from the Mall of Abilene), ☏ +1 325 698-1234. Built as an Embassy Suites, MCM Elegante remains Abilene's premiere hotel. Lovely 2-room suites, a full-service restaurant and ample meeting space.
- 2 Residence Inn, 1641 Musgrave Blvd, ☏ +1 325 677-8700.
- Lake Fort Phantom, north of town, is a popular lake for sport fishing.
|Routes through Abilene|
|Midland ← Sweetwater ←||W E||→ Weatherford → Fort Worth|
|Childress ← Paducah ←||N S||→ Uvalde → Laredo|
|Lubbock ← Sweetwater ←||W E||→ Coleman → Waco|
|Sonora ← San Angelo ←||SW NE||→ Wichita Falls → Lawton|