city and county seat of Sutton County, Texas, United States
Get in Edit
Get around Edit
- Caverns of Sonora, Caverns of Sonora Road (off I-10 8 miles west of town), ☏ . Consistently called by speleologists as one of the most beautiful caves in the country, the cavern has a host of unique, impossible-looking formations. Guided tours leave every half-hour for a somewhat strenuous 1.5 mile path underground.
- Eaton Hill Wildlife Sanctuary. 37-acre nature park with 3 miles of hiking trails, with both Hill Country and Chihuahua Desert wildlife. Open during daylight hours. Free.
- Miers House Museum, 307 E. Oak Street. Restored Victorian era style home. Tel: +1 325-387-5084. Tu, Th, Sa 9AM-11AM.
- Old Sonora Ice House Ranch Museum, 206 S Water Ave. Museum about William Carver, a member of Butch Clanton's gang who was killed by the sheriff here during an attempted arrest. Tel: +1 325-387-3754.
- La Mexicana, 308A Highway 277 North, ☏ . Better than the average small-town Mexican restaurant.
Go next Edit
- X Bar Ranch, about 23 miles north of town near the town of Eldorado. 7100-acre guest ranch with camping and cabin lodging. Other features include 16 miles of nature trails and a swimming pool.
|Routes through Sonora|
|El Paso ← Ozona ←||W E||→ Kerrville → San Antonio|
|San Angelo ← Eldorado ←||N N||→ Del Rio → Carrizo Springs|