Altus is in the Great Plains Country region of southwest Oklahoma and is a military town with the presence of Altus Air Force Base nearby. In the beginning, it served as a trading post for the Great Western Cattle Trail.
Get in edit
Get around edit
- Museum of the Western Prairie, 1100 Memorial Dr, ☏ . Tu-Sa 11AM-5PM. Little whips and buggies and things. $7 adults, $5 child/senior.
- 1 Great Western Cattle Trail (on US Hwy 62 a few miles east of Altus, on north side). A marker commemorating the Great Western Cattle Trail, which stretched from the southern tip of Texas to Ogallala prior to the opening of the land to settlement. You can also observe planes doing maneuvers from the base nearby here.
You can take a walk around 1 Altus Lake (Reservoir). Granted it's not one of Oklahoma's top ten or anything in terms of attractions, but a road circumnavigates the body of water the entire way, which makes for a relatively peaceful place to walk.
- Val's. Great shrimp quesadillas. Give 'em a try. The pulled pork sandwich is amazing.
- Salt Fork Drafthouse, 2101 E Broadway St, ☏ . Lagers and stouts and lots of deep fried foods to enjoy.
- Trader Toms. Down the street from Scooter's.
Go next edit
|Routes through Altus|
|Lubbock ← Childress ←||W E||→ Snyder → Lawton|
|Sayre ← Mangum ←||N S||→ Vernon → I-20 - Brady|