city in Wilbarger County, Texas, United States
Like most Texas towns, you are best off with a car at your disposal.
- Red River Valley Museum, 4400 College Dr. This museum has, among other things, exhibits on the Waggoner Ranch, sculpture by Electra Waggoner Biggs, and an exhibit on Jack Teagarden, a famous jazz musician of the 20s, 30s and 40s who was born in Vernon. Tues-Sun 1-5PM.
- Wilbarger County Courthouse. Built in 1928.
- Santa Rosa Roundup. This major national rodeo is held on the third weekend of May.
- Dew's Custom Handmade Boots, 1819 Pease St, ☏ .
- Blessings Antiques & Etc., 1727 Fannin St, ☏ .
- Jo's Corner, 1530 Main St, ☏ .
- T-Cup, 1830 Pease St, ☏ .
- Malone's Treasures, 1409 Main St, ☏ .
- Little Attic, 2103 Paradise St, ☏ .
- Bara's Fine Mexican Food, 529 US Highway 287 E, ☏ .
- Brown Cow Family Restaurant, 3205 US Highway 287 W, ☏ .
- Chicken Shack Restaurant, 3901 Wilbarger St, ☏ .
- Doug's Pit Bar BQ, 1418 Fannin St, ☏ .
- Grandads Diner, 1727 Fannin St, ☏ .
- Mestizo Mexican Restaurant, 5115 College Dr, ☏ .
- Mr Jim's Pizza, 4113 Hillcrest Plz # 64, ☏ .
- Norman's Restaurant, 1601 US Highway 287 E, ☏ .
- Crazy Mike's Saloon, 3108 US Highway 287 W, ☏ .
- Days Inn Vernon, 3110 Frontage Rd, ☏ .
- Green Tree Inn, 3029 Morton St, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn Express, 700 Hillcrest Dr, ☏ .
- Best Western-Village Inn, 1615 US Highway 287 E, ☏ .
- Doan's Crossing, 15 miles north on Hwy 283 near the tiny community of Fargo. Six million cattle were driven along the Western Texas-Kansas trail which crossed the Red River at this point. Corwin Doan built a small adobe store here in 1881 to provide for the cowboy's needs. The building still stands today, along with a historical marker engraved with the brands of famous ranches around Texas.
- Lake Kemp, 25 miles south off route 183. This lake is popular for sport fishing.
|Routes through Vernon|
|Plainview ← Paducah ←||W E||→ Jct W E → Ardmore → Hugo|
|Clinton ← Snyder ←||N S||→ Jct W E → Brownwood → Austin|
|Sayre ← Altus ←||N S||→ END|
|Amarillo ← Quanah ←||N S||→ Rest area → Wichita Falls → Fort Worth|