Northern Laos is a mountainous region of Laos. It shares borders with Thailand, Myanmar, China and Vietnam. The region encompasses the provinces of (from north to south) Phongsali, Oudomxai, Luang Namtha, Bokeo and Sainyabuli.
- 1 Houay Xai - near the Thailand border crossing, and the departure point for the Gibbon Experience in Bokeo Nature Reserve
- 2 Luang Prabang - famed cultural town and former capital
- 3 Luang Namtha - capital of Luang Namtha Province
- 4 Muang Long
- 5 Muang Ngeun
- 6 Muang Sing - in Luang Namtha Province
- 7 Muang Xay - capital of Oudomxai Province
- 8 Oudomxai
- 9 Pakbeng - in Bokeo Province
- 10 Sayabouly
- 11 Vieng Phoukha - in Luang Namtha Province
Visa-on-arrival is available at Luang Prabang airport and the price is variable based upon your nationality. You need a passport picture to obtain a visa. If you don't have one, they'll scan your picture from your passport and charge you an additional USD1.
Buses from the northern bus station travel in Vientiane travel along the Mekong River to Sanakhan (the Lao town opposite Thailand's Chiang Khan), then through the mountains to Pak Lai. From Pak Lai, buses travel south to the Thai border crossing at Kaen Teo and north to Sainyabuli, where buses leave for other northern destinations, including the old royal city of Luang Prabang.
- Ban Nalan Trail - in Luang Namtha Province.
- Central Laos to the south.
- Thailand has a popular border crossing in Bokeo province.
- China from Luang Prabang or Luang Namtha to Boten/Mengla.