Cape Canaveral is a city in Brevard County, Florida, most famous for being the home of America's spaceport, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (CCAFS). Cape Canaveral is part of a region known as the "Space Coast", since all of the manned United States spacecraft are launched from the Space Coast.
The city of Cape Canaveral sits at the northern end of a barrier island on the Atlantic coast of Florida, south of the geographical Cape Canaveral.
Falcon 9 (pictured above), the first rocket to land its first stage, takes off from the Kennedy Space Center.
- Melbourne International Airport (MLB IATA), just 27 miles south, is the closest airport to Cape Canaveral. It is served by Delta Air Lines with six daily arrivals from Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport, and American Airlines with 3 daily arrivals (2 on Saturdays) from Charlotte, N.C.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO IATA), from which Florida State Route 528 goes straight to Cape Canaveral, is the largest airport serving the area. The drive takes a little less than 1 hour, but SR 528 requires tolls. The road toll costs $2 from the airport, and even more from Orlando's other tourist areas.
- Daytona Beach International Airport (DAB IATA) is about an hour and 15 minutes north by way of Interstate 95.
The nearest Amtrak station is in Orlando, 50 miles west.
Cape Canaveral is at the eastern end of Florida State Route 528 from Orlando. Interstate 95, a primary north-south route on the Atlantic Coast, intersects FL-528 near Cape Canaveral.
- Space Coast Area Transit is the local Brevard County bus service. It is a cheap way to get around and is wheelchair accessible. The website provides maps and timetables. Buses travel to most sites and places of interest. $1.50 per ride, or $42 for a monthly pass.
- 1 .
- 2 Air Force Space and Missile Museum (tours leave from the AF Space and Missile History Center just outside the south gate of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 8AM-4PM, W Th 9AM (launch and operations schedule permitting). The three-hour tour includes stops at the Air Force Space and Missile Museum, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse and several historic launch complexes. Reservations are required and seating is limited. Adults must be able to present one form of official ID, such as a driver's license, military ID and/or passport, when checking in at the History Center. Bus and most facilities are not wheelchair accessible. These sites can be seen daily via a fee-based special KSC bus tour of Cape Canaveral. Free.
- 3 Air Force Space and Missile History Center (Just outside the south gate of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 9AM-2PM, Sa 9AM-5PM, Su noon-4PM. The History Center is an extension of the Air Force Space and Missile Museum. It is outside of the gates of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and does not require entry onto the station. Free.
- View a rocket launch: NASA keeps a list of Brevard County parks where rocket launches can be viewed. The best places off-site are to the south from Jetty Park near Port Canaveral, or across Indian River in Titusville.
- Go on a Cruise from Port Canaveral - Evening and extended cruises offered. These are especially popular for their casino facilities which are not available on land.
- Victory Casino, 180 Christopher Columbus Dr, ☏ . Relax and gamble for a night on the water. Ages 18+.
- Zero Gravity Corporation, toll-free: . Parabolic flights on a modified 727, offering brief periods of weightlessness. $3675.
- Cocoa Beach Sportfishing Charters, 800 Scallop Dr, ☏ . Deep sea fishing charters leaving from Cocoa Beach and Port Canaveral. Catch Dolphin, Wahoo, Sailfish, Grouper, and many others. Children welcome.
- A1A Beach Rentals, 6811 N Atlantic Ave, ☏ . Surfboard rental, paddleboard rental, kayak rental, bike rental, beach gear rental. Rentals are by the day, 2-day, and weekly, and the company delivers everything to you. Activities include kayak fishing, kayak manatee and wildlife viewing, surfing lessons, stand-up paddle boarding lessons, cruise shore excursions, surf fishing, flats fishing.
- Anglers Envy Fishing Charters, 726 Scallop Drive #1001, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Deep sea fishing charter experience.
- 1 Sea Leveler Sport Fishing Charters (Sea Leveler), 505 Glen Cheek Dr, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 7AM–10PM. Deep sea fishing charters. Full, half day and specialty fishing charters to catch mahi, king mackerel, sailfish, tuna, barracuda, wahoo, grouper, snapper, and cobia to name a few. Evening shark fishing charters.
- Fin Freak Offshore Charters (Obsession Fishing Charters), 505 Glen Cheek Dr, Cape Canaveral, ☏ . Cape Canaveral fishing charters.
- 1 Rusty's Seafood, 628 Glen Cheek Drive, ☏ . Great surf and turf, in a relaxing setting on the water, with live entertainment, and seating both inside and outside over the water.
- Grill's Seafood Deck &Tiki Bar, 505 Glen Cheek Drive, ☏ . Fresh seafood and great atmosphere.
- 2 Fishlips, 610 Glen Cheek Drive (At Port Canaveral), ☏ . Unique food and drinks, live entertainment, great nightlife.
- Causeway Diner, 3700 N Courtenay Pkwy, ☏ . Diner serving breakfast, lunch and dinner all day long.
- Cape Winds Resort, 7400 Ridgewood Avenuel (A1A to city hall turn toward beach), ☏ . 1- and 2-bedroom fully equipped beachfront condos with pool, tennis court and covered parking.
- 1 Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, 9009 Astronaut Blvd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. Closest hotel to Port Canaveral, with packages that include shuttle service to Port Canaveral. Complimentary hot breakfast.
- 2 Residence Inn, 8959 Astronaut Blvd, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- , 1000 Shorewood Dr, ☏ , toll-free: .
- Disney World is 1½ hours by car due west in Lake Buena Vista.
- Space - The launch facility is a gateway to low Earth orbit and beyond, although extremely expensive.
|Routes through Cape Canaveral|
|Daytona Beach ← Titusville ←||N S||→ Cocoa Beach → West Palm Beach|