While most of Melbourne is on the mainland, a small portion is located on a barrier island. The Indian River Lagoon separates the mainland from the island. The island is a narrow strip of land that separates the Lagoon from the Atlantic Ocean.
Spanning the Indian River Lagoon to connect the mainland to the barrier island are a pair of four-lane, high-rise bridges -- the Melbourne Causeway and the Eau Gallie Causeway.
- 1 Orlando-Melbourne International Airport (MLB IATA), 1 Air Terminal Pkwy, ☏ (ext. 222). Serves Florida's Space and Treasure Coasts with domestic and international passenger and air freight service. Utilizing convenient, state-of-the-art facilities, the Melbourne International Airport is served by Delta/Delta Connection and American Eagle. Plans are underway to include TuiFly from Great Britain which is expected to begin service to Melbourne FL and cease service to Orlando-Sanford in 2022. The Airport also provides services including charter passenger flights, private aviation, and air freight flights.
Other nearby airports include:
- Orlando International Airport (MCO IATA) 64 mi (103 km) NW of Melbourne.
- Orlando-Sanford International Airport (SFB IATA) 84 mi (135 km) miles NW of Melbourne.
- Daytona Beach International Airport (DAB IATA) 90 mi (140 km) miles N of Melbourne.
- Interstate 95 Melbourne is accessed from exits #176 ("Palm Bay Rd/Palm Bay") through #188 ("FL Hwy 404 Patrick AFB Satellite Beach") along I-95. There are five exits from I-95 into town. Downtown can be accessed from Exit #180 ("US Hwy 192 Melbourne West Melbourne") from both directions of I-95.
- US Hwy 1
- US Highway 192 Connects Melbourne to Orlando through Kissimmee. US Hwy 192 east of its junction with I-95 (Exit #180) into town as West New Haven Ave.
- FL A1A Coastal highway connecting Cape Canaveral in the north, through Melbourne Beach to Stuart Beach in Fort Pierce in the south.
See By car under Get around in below for a more local description of the above.
- 2 Greyhound, (bus stop) West New Haven Mobile Mart/Gas Station at 4050 W New Haven Ave (Off of Exit #180 of I-95.), ☏ , toll-free: . Travels primarily on Interstate 95 (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Ft Pierce, Titusville, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville). Another variation of this route connects West Palm Beach to Orlando through Ft Pierce, Titusville and points in between along I-95/FL Hwy 50. Passengers transfer in Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, Miami or Orlando to reach other cities. Check Schedules.
- Space Coast Area Transit is the name of the local Brevard County bus service. It is a cheap way to get around and is handicap accessible. The website provides maps and timetables. Buses travel to most sites and places of interest. $1.25 per ride, or $35 for a monthly pass.
The best way to get around Melbourne is by car. Major Roads include:
- U.S. Highway 1. Harbor City Boulevard is the local street name, and it runs parallel to the Indian River on the eastern side of the city. This road allows easy access to the beaches over 3 causeways: the Pineda Causeway (Florida State Road 404), Eau Gallie Causeway, and Melbourne Causeway.
- U.S. Highway 192. Locally named New Haven Avenue or Strawbridge Avenue (historic downtown), US 192 is one of the major commercial, entertainment, and retail areas of Melbourne. Many businesses, large and small, are located on this busy avenue. It serves as a route to Kissimmee and the tourist corridor of Orlando to the west, and the town of Indialantic to the east via the Melbourne Causeway.
- Interstate 95. This 6 lane interstate highway passes through the city limits, 4 exit ramps located in the Melbourne Vicinity. It serves as the main north-south route in the metropolitan area.
- Florida State Road A1A. This road runs along the beaches and provides easy access to other areas of Brevard County.
- County Road 509 (Wickham\Minton). Wickham serves as a second north to south route in the Melbourne area.
- 1 The Botanical Gardens at F.I.T.. A 15 acre botanical garden on the campus of F.I.T. which is free and open to the public.
- 2 Foosaner Art Museum. Formerly called the Brevard Art Museum, it was purchased and now run by Florida Institute of Technology (FIT).
- 3 Henegar Center for the Arts, 625 East New Haven Ave, ☏ .
- 4 Honor America's Liberty Bell Museum, 1601 Oak St (Oaks & E Hibicus Blvd next to Melbourne Military Memorial Park), ☏ . M-F 10AM-4PM. Honor America, Inc. is a patriotic non-profit, non-partisan and non-sectarian organization who operates the Liberty Bell Memorial Museum and the Melbourne Military Memorial Park and hosts patriotic events throughout the year.
- 5 Maxwell C King Center for Performing Arts, 3865 N. Wickham Road (SE of the intersection of N Wickham Rd & E Post on the campus of Eastern Florida State College.), ☏ .
- Melbourne Arts Festival, PO Box 611, Melbourne, FL 32902, ☏ . April.
- 6 Melbourne Community Orchestra, 1924 Melody Ln, ☏ .
- 7 Melbourne Civic Theatre, 817 Strawbridge Ave (Along Strawbridge Ave (US Hwy 192) between Municiapl Ln & Waverly Pl), ☏ . Local stage since 1951 putting on a variety of classic & new plays in an intimate setting.
- Florida EcoSafaris at Forever Florida (Zipline Safari), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Journey deep into Forever Florida, a 4700 acre eco-ranch and wildlife conservation area, preserved just as nature intended. This beautiful site boasts 9 distinct Florida ecosystems and an endless array of natural flora and fauna including alligators, black bears, nearly two hundred species of birds and the endangered Florida panther. Choose your own fully-guided adventure: Coach Safari, Horseback Safari, soar through the treetops on the NEW Zipline Safari. Reservations Required.
- Andretti's Thrill Park, 3960 S. Babcock St, ☏ , ✉ info@AndrettiThrillPark.com. Go Kart's, Mini Golf.
- 8 Brevard Zoo, 8225 N Wickham Rd (between Rockledge and Melbourne), ☏ . Animals and exhibits of different habitats, along with a treetop trek.
- Galaxy Skateway, ☏ . Roller Skating Rink.
- Brevard Symphony Orchestra, 1500 Highland Ave (offices are in the historic Winchester Symphony House in the Eau Gallie Arts District), ☏ . Founded in 1954, the orchestra-in-residence at the King Center for the performing arts. Brevard's only professional orchestra.
- CrossFit Rise Above, 1973 Guava Ave (Gym is located in the Eau Gallie Arts District), ☏ . Founded in 2011, CrossFit affiliate located in Melbourne.
- 1 Melbourne Square Mall, 1700 W New Haven Ave (W New Haven Ave & Evans southwest of airport grounds), ☏ . Su 12PM-6PM; M-Sa 11AM-7PM. Melbourne Square Mall hosts Dillard's, Macy's, JCPenney, Dick's Sporting Goods and numerous other hotels, shops & restaurants in the mall and in the immediate surrounding area not part of the mall (Best Buy, Burlington Coat Factory, Pet Smart, Ross Dress for Less, Extended Stay America, Marriott Courtyard, among others). There are other smaller strip malls & free standing establishments across the street along W New Haven Ave.
- 2 Longboard House, 101 5th Ave, Indiatlantic (5th Ave & Miramar in Indiatlantic/Melbourne Beach), ☏ . Su 8:30AM-6PM; M-Sa 8:30AM-9PM. Veteran Surf shop stocking an extensive selection of surfboards and other oceanic recreational gear.
- Squid Lips, 1477 Pineapple Avenue. "Where the locals eat & drink." $5-$15 per person. Located on the Indian River.
- Siam Orchid Best Sushi in town!
- Cedar's Cafe. Authentic Lebanese food wonderful! Best Tabouli in town!
- The Wagon Wheel, 3082 Lake Washington Rd, ☏ . In business for over 40 years, known for Pizza and Stromboli.
Historic Downtown DiningEdit
- Island Pasta Company, 820 E New Haven Ave, ☏ .
- Meg O'Malley's Irish Pub & Restaurant, 810 E New Haven Av, ☏ .
- Longdoggers Great local food for $5-$10 per person
- Coasters Pub, ☏ . 971A E Eau Gallie Blvd (Wal-Mart Plaza). 100+ Awesome Beers and Great Food
The airport locations are located southeast of the airport terminal, southeast of the intersection of NASA Blvd & MLK along MLK Blvd:
- 1 Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place, 200 Rialto Pl (Is located within minutes of the Melbourne International Airport.), ☏ .
- 2 Suburban Extended Stay, 1125 Airport Blvd., ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3pm, check-out: 12pm. This hotel offers free wireless high-speed Internet access in all rooms and an on-site fitness room.
Jct I-95 and US Hwy 192 (W New Haven Ave)Edit
There are several chain hotels & motels located on W New Haven Ave (US Hwy 192) east of its intersection with I-95 (Exit #180). Ideal for travelers passing through along I-95 by car or by Greyhound bus and need a break from a long drive or bus ride:
- 3 America's Best Value Inn & Suites by Red Lion, 4431 W New Haven Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 4 Budget Inn, 4505 W New Haven Ave, ☏ .
- 5 Days Inn by Wyndham, 4500 W New Haven Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3 PM, check-out: 12 PM.
- 6 Hampton's Inn, 194 Coastal Ln, ☏ .
- 7 Holiday Inn Express, 2255 Coastal Ln, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 8 La Quinta Inn & Suites, 4510 W New Haven Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 9 Melbourne All Suites Inn, 4455 W New Haven Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 10 Woodspring Suites, 4650 W New Haven Ave, ☏ .
Bed & BreakfastEdit
- Kennedy Space Center is about an hour's drive north, in Cape Canaveral.
- Disney World is 1-1.5 hours by car due west in Lake Buena Vista.
|Routes through Melbourne|
|Daytona Beach ← Rockledge ←||N S||→ Palm Bay → Fort Pierce|
|Daytona Beach ← Rockledge ←||N S||→ Palm Bay → Vero Beach|
|Orlando ← Kissimmee ←||W E||→ Jct → End|
|Cape Canaveral ← Indian Harbour Beach ←||N S||→ Indialantic → Vero Beach|