East Point is southwest of the neighborhoods of Atlanta in the city's Metro Area. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 39,595. The city is named for being at the opposite end of the former Atlanta & West Point Railroad from West Point, Georgia.
East Point is home to R&B and hip hop groups such as TLC, OutKast, Coolbreeze, Organized Noize, and Goodie Mob. It is also the home of Teddy Geiger and author and film critic Alonso Duralde. A growing fine arts community includes artists: Bjay Allen, Marc Villanueva, Su Abbott, and Alli Royce Sobel.
A portion of the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is located in East Point. The National Archives regional repository for data collected from the U.S. Census was originally located in East Point until it was moved to a new facility in the nearby city of Morrow, Georgia.
East Point is easily accessed by Interstate Highway 85, 285.
MARTA, +1 404-848-5000, . For both bus and train. It is the second stop from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport on all northbound MARTA trains.
Getting around downtown East Point is as simple as exiting the train station and venturing across Main Street. The wider residential developments are better accessed by car although there are considerable MARTA bus routes through the city.
- East Point Corner Tavern, 2783 Main St, ☏ . Probably the most popular bar in East Point. Located across the street from the East Point MARTA station. Traditional bar fare with a large international beer menu. Live music occasionally. Outdoor patio.
- El Rocio Mexican Restaurant, 2873 Main St, ☏ . Mexican. Located across the street from the East Point MARTA station.
- Flashback, 2787 Main St, ☏ . Bar & Grill. Located across the street from the East Point MARTA station.
- Green Apple, 2865 Main St, ☏ . Located across the street from the East Point MARTA station.
- Loving It Live, 2796 E Point St, ☏ . Vegan, Organic, Take-out.
- Malone's Bar & Grill, 1258 Virginia Ave, ☏ . Steak & Seafood. Located near many airport hotels.
- Oz Pizza, 2805 Main St, ☏ . Pizza, salads, large outdoor patio. Located across the street from the East Point MARTA station.
- Spondivits, 1219 Virginia Ave, ☏ . Seafood, popular with the airport crowd. Located near many airport hotels.
- Cambria Suites, ☏ . Best Road I-85 Exit 71. Non-smoking only, near the airport.
|Routes through East Point|
|Atlanta ← Hapeville ←||N S||→ College Park → Montgomery|
|Athens ← Atlanta ←||N S||→ College Park → Auburn|
|Downtown Atlanta ← West Atlanta/South Atlanta ←||N S||→ College Park → Hartsfield-Jackson ATL|