Calm and scenic, Golaghat, one of the oldest urban agglomerations of Assam, has a beautiful landscape with several streams. Within the city limits, there are two wildlife preserves, a UNESCO-listed park, ancient ruins and sacred Hindu and Christian sites from the 17th and 19th centuries.
The history of this area dates back to the 9th century, but the city's name is much more recent. Golaghat is a city of five streams — the Dhansiri River and four tributaries — so not surprisingly, the city's name means "shop at the ferry landing", memorialising the Marwari shops that were established in the mid 20th century on the Dhansiri.
Golaghat remains a place of business. Other industries include tea-growing and tourism.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
The climate is sub-tropical and humid. Humidity is usually greatest in the morning.
Summers, winters and monsoons are the three main season. Summers have much more rainfall than winters. Average temperature and rainfall for the year are 24.0 °C and 1960 mm.
Golaghat has a good network of roadways and railways.
The easiest way to reach Golaghat is through Rowriah Airport in Jorhat, which is 35 km away. Air services operate flight services in the Jorhat – Kolkata and Jorhat – Guwahati routes from rest of the India. The fastest way to arrive at Guwahati from Golaghat takes 2h 58m, which is to take a taxi from Golaghat to Rowriah in Jorhat and then taking a Jorhat – Guwahati flight service.
Train services operate from Golaghat railway station, and services are available from Dimapur, Tinsukia, Dibrugarh and Guwahati. The important railway is at Furkating in Golaghat. There're direct train(s) from Golaghat to Guwahati, such as Ghy Intercity (15606). The minimum time a train takes to reach Guwahati from Golaghat is ~ 8hours.
The major roads connecting to Golaghat and its surrounding areas are National Highway 37 and National Highway 39. NH 37 enters through Golaghat - Nagaon border at Bagori and it passes through places such as, Kohora and Kaziranga National Park. A road link also exists from Golaghat to Wokha in Nagaland.
River transportation link on River Brahmaputra exists between Dhansiri Ghat in Golaghat district and Gomari Ghat in Sonitpur district.
Visiting Golaghat is an experience close to nature because of its landscape, both for travellers and tourists alike. The major attractions of the place, Kaziranga National Park, the Natural History Museum, the British Cemetery, the Baptist Church, Nambor - Doigrung Wildlife Sanctuary, Garampani, Negheriting Shiva Doul and Deopahar Ruins are within the vicinity of, or close proximity to the city, making it an interesting destination for Assam travel itinerary. Taxi services, Safaris can be arranged from hotels and travel lodges.
- 1 Golaghat British Cemetery. Assam's one of the oldest burial grounds dating back to India's pre-independence era, containing 28 burials of British officers.
- 2 Golaghat Baptist Church, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. One of the oldest and biggest Baptist churches in Assam that was established in December AD 1898.
- 3 Athkheliya Namghar. One of the prominent religious places of Assam. The Namghar was built in AD 1681 by Ahom king Gadapani.
- 4 Negheriting Shiva Doul. Constructed in AD 1687 by Ahom king Swargadeo Rajeswar Singha, perched on a hill top, it is one of the oldest Hindu temples in Assam.
- 5 Golaghat Natural History Museum. Museum contains dolls, artefacts, mementos, movies and other personal collections of Dr. Banerjee (a Padma Shri awardee, and a medical doctor from Edinburgh and Liverpool Universities). There are 587 dolls and 262 other show pieces.
- 6 Kaziranga National Park, ☏ . Kaziranga National Park in Golaghat district is a World heritage site declared by UNESCO in 1985.
- 7 Nambor - Doigrung Wildlife Sanctuary. Spread across 97 square kilometres (37 sq mi) in 3 blocks, the sanctuary is located in Morangi, Golaghat, and is famous as a spot for Hot water spring and wildlife viewpoint to spot Rhino and other animals.
- 8 Garampani Wildlife Sanctuary. It is one of the oldest wildlife sanctuaries containing Hot water spring and Waterfalls covering an area of 6.05 km2 (2.34 sq mi) and surrounded by Nambor Sanctuary having 51 rare species of orchid. It is 18 km2 (6.9 sq mi) away from central Golaghat.
- 9 Deopahar Ruins. The ruins of an ancient temple with statues lying shattered and greenery sprouting from the heads of others. From the top of the hill, one can get a view spanning across Numaligarh Tea Estate and nearby hills and forests, which is simply divine.
- Excursion. With a landscape of sprawling tea estates in and around Golaghat, planning an excursion to visit the heritage buildings and sites gives a very refreshing experience to travellers.
- 1 A walk down to Dhansiri bridge. A walk down the Dhansiri bridge towards the river offers a very beautiful sight. It is a popular picnic and outdoor spot for barbecues for the citizens of Golaghat and travellers alike.
- Jeep safaris. Jeep safaris to Kaziranga National Park is one of the best ways to experience the scenic beauty of the protected area for wildlife.
- 1 Camellia, Station Road, Golaghat, ☏ . A colonial era setup, serving Indian and Chinese cuisines. ₹ 600 (vegetarian) ₹ 700 (non-vegetarian).
- 2 [dead link] Indrani Guest Resort, Tapan Nagar, Golaghat, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A multi-cuisine restaurant and a colonial-era guest house.
- 3 GDSA Charaideo, Golaghat Central (GDSA), Golaghat, ☏ , . A multi-cuisine restaurant and hotel.
- 4 Hamdoi Resort, New Amulapatty (East), Golaghat, ☏ . A multi-cuisine restaurant and modern resort.
- 5 Sizzlerz, GDSA Complex, Golaghat, ☏ . 12:30 - 21:30. Open kitchen fast food restaurant.
- 1 Hotel Atithya, Chowk Bazar, Golaghat, ☏ .
- 2 Golaghat Circuit House (Govt. of Assam), D.R. Collage Road, Chandmari, Golaghat, ☏ . A colonial era accommodation. ₹ 300 - ₹400.
- 3 [dead link] Prashaanti Tourist Lodge (Assam Tourism), Ward #10, Golaghat - East, Golaghat, ☏ , , , .
- 4 Nambor Guest House, Station Road, Golaghat, ☏ , , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bed and breakfast (B&B)Edit
- 5 [dead link] Indrani Guest House, Tapan Nagar, Golaghat, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A colonial B&B hotel.
- 6 GDSA Charaideo, Golaghat Central (GDSA), Golaghat, ☏ , . Central location with the view of the Sports Authority Stadium.
- 7 Hamdoi Resort, New Amulapatty (East), Golaghat, ☏ . Located in a calm neighbourhood, a bit away from the city centre.