Asia > Southeast Asia > Philippines > Visayas > Samar Island > Eastern Samar > Guiuan
Guiuan is a municipality in Eastern Samar where some of the Waraynon lived.
- Fly to/from Manila International airport then to Tacloban airport in (one hour) with Air Asia, Cebu Pacific or Philippines airlines. then Minivan to Guiuan.
- Fly to/from Cebu International airport. then fly to/from Cebu to Tacloban airport (45 mins) with Cebu pacific or Philippines airlines. then minivan to Guiuan.
- fly to/from Davao International airport. then fly to/from Davao to Tacloban airport (one hour) with Cebu Pacific then Minivan to Guiuan.
- fly to/from Clark International airport. then fly to/from Clark to Tacloban airport (one hour) with Air Asia then Minivan to Guiuan.
Minivan & busesEdit
From Cebu City you can take the 2GO Supercat Fast Ferry, two-hour trip from pier 4 near SM shopping Mall, Cebu to Ormoc, Southern Leyte. from Ormoc by land transportation, proceed to Tacloban Leyte, a two-hour ride. From Tacloban passing through the famous San Juanico Bridge connectingan Leyte-Samar, pass the coastal towns of Samar another 2 1/2 hours ride to the town of Guiuan.
In Guiuan you can see many beaches such as Calicoan beach, and Sapao beach (Dumpao). There is a beautiful cave named Linao Cave. The water is cold and clear. In Sulangan you can see the San Antonio De Padua Shrine, a divine church.
- 15th-century Catholic church, Sta. Cruz St.. The most beautiful church in the island of Samar. Built solely by manual labor, this edifice of adobe stone is indeed a cultural heritage. Inside, one can find uniquely carved icons as a Spanish Baroque altar. This 400+-year-old Catholic church, inspired by the Spanish colonizers that came to the Philippines after the Magellan expedition, also features chiseled doorways and has a classical facade. This church is under restoration and reconstruction by the NCCA, following Typhoon Haiyan.
- Guiuan Church Tower. A monumental to native labor, it is the tallest existing tower in the municipality. Two thirds of its height was said to have been destroyed by earthquakes many years ago. The imposing belfry is a comforting sight for an exhausted overland travellers that come from various points of the country via Borongan, the provincial capital of Eastern Samar.
- Pearl Island. This is a quaint coral islet developed by BFAR. It is devoted to experimental round and blister pearl culture and giant clams project and is ideal for scuba diving and underwater sports.
- Philippine Radar Station. A sophisticated weather forecasting instrument. One of the PAGASA stations in the country. Located on top of a hill, and offers a panoramic view of the town, the Leyte Gulf and the vast Pacific Ocean.
- Tubabao Island. Served as the former International Refugee Organization (IRO) campsite for 6,000 displaced White Russians from 1949-1952.
- , Calicoan Island. On December 1, 1944, a fleet of LCT's Liberty Ships and barges poured into the Guiuan Bay to unload machines that was to transform Guiuan into one of the biggest naval bases in the Far East at the time.
- Pray at the Shrine of St. Anthony of Padua, Brgy. Sulangan. This picturesque barrio is famous for its Shrine of St. Anthony of Padua whose miraculous attributes devotees and visitors from afar and wide.
- Surf, ABCD Beach, Brgy. Sulangan. Declared as the surfing capital of the Visayas in 2001, by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. This is an ideal place for surfing during the months of September to December due to the presence of big waves by the northeast trade winds.
- Metro Bank, Lugay Street. 24-hour ATM. Has a Master Card/Visa Card ATM.
- PNB Bank, St Nicolas Street. 24-hour ATM. Has a Visa Card ATM.
- Prince Hypermart. 8AM-7PM. large Supermarket with most things you will need.
- Considering that Guiuan is a coastal place. Guiuan is rich in fishes such as tamban, suno, sulusugi (sword fish), and bulad (dried fish).
- GSECC Food Haus Brgy. 5 Lugay Street.
- Tanghay View Lodge, ☎ . Check-out: noon. Fan/air-con single/double rooms with or without bathrooms. Cable TV. from ₱300.
- Addison Pension (Addison Hotel), Brgy.4-A Lugay st., ☎ .
- Khaishra Hotel, Lugay St..
- Marcelo's Place, Brgy.Lupok, ☎ .
- Residencia Vicente, Brgy.Lupok.
- Seabreeze, Brgy.Lupok, ☎ .
- Misty Blueboat House, Brgy.Lupok.
- Guiuan Pension House Ext., San Nicolas st.. Fan/air-con single/double rooms. From ₱300.
- Calicoan Villa, ABCD, Brgy.Sulangan, ☎ .
- Banago Beach Resort, Banago, Brgy. Sulangan, ☎ .
- Carline Lodging House, Brgy.1 Conception street, ☎ .