Abington is a town with a population of roughly 17,000 (2020).
Hanover is a town with a population of roughly 15,000 (2020).
Hanson is a town with a population of roughly 11,000 (2020).
Norwell is a town with a population of roughly 11,000 (2020).
Pembroke is a town with a population of roughly 18,000 (2020).
Get in edit
This small collection of towns can all be found directly east of Brockton. They're easily reached via Route 3, exiting onto Route 228 south. Routes 18, 58, 123 and 139 also serve the towns. From Rockland: Hanover is about 2 miles east, Abington is 2½ miles south east, Whitman is 5 miles south, and Hanson is 5 miles south east.
By bus edit
- 1 Plymouth & Brockton (Rockland Park/Ride Lot), 1140 Hingham St (Rte 3 & 228), ☏ . 6AM-11PM in the high season. Daily bus service offered from Boston Logan and South Station, all the way down to Hyannis on Cape Cod. Runs every hour from 6AM-11PM in the high season. $16 to South Station, $11 children, $10 bikes.
By train edit
Abington, Whitman and Hanson are on the MBTA Plymouth/Kingston commuter rail line to Boston.
- 2 Abington Station, 231 Centre Ave (Abington). Accessible boarding for all train cars. 404 parking spaces, 9 accessible. Bike racks. MBTA zone 4. $8.75 to Boston; parking: M-F $4, Sa-Su $2.
- 3 Whitman Station, 383 South Ave (Whitman). Accessible boarding for all train cars. 199 parking spaces, 7 accessible. Bike racks. MBTA zone 5. $9.75 to Boston; parking: M-F $4, Sa-Su $2.
- 4 Hanson Station, 1070 Main St (Hanson). Accessible boarding for all train cars. 428 parking spaces, 6 accessible. Bike racks. MBTA zone 6. $10.50 to Boston; parking: M-F $4, Sa-Su $2.
Get around edit
In order to get around these small towns, it is quicker and more convenient to drive from point to point. If you're looking for a way to exercise or be outdoors, there is a small 2.5 mi (4.0 km) rail trail mostly in Rockland. It doesn't go anywhere or connect to anything, but it is scenic.
- 1 South Shore Natural Science Center, 48 Jacobs Lane (Norwell), ☏ . M-Sa 9:30AM-4:30PM year round. See Eco Zone, a multidimensional, interactive exhibit depicting the ecosystem of southeastern Massachusetts. Live animals, the outdoor trails, environmental education programs, lectures and special events. Adults $5, Seniors and ages 2-15 $3.
- 2 The Company Theatre, 30 Accord Park Drive (Norwell), ☏ . Theatre with stage productions and "celebrity showcases" throughout the year.
- Boston Bowl, 58 Rockland St (Hanover), ☏ . Daily 9AM - 11PM. A fun family activity open during all seasons. Candlepin and 10-pin bowling, an arcade, concession stand, bar. Has a sister location in Dorchester.
- Emilson YMCA, 75 Mill St (Hanover), ☏ . M-F 5AM-9PM, Sa Su 7AM-4PM. Full exercise room equipped with weights and cardio machines. Full size lap pool and swimming pool with slide, basketball court, game room, as well as indoor and outdoor tennis courts.
- 1 Rockland Ice Rink, 599 Summer St (Rockland), ☏ . Public skating, hockey hour, ice rentals, skating lessons, and home to various hockey teams in the area.
- Starland Sports and Fun Park, 645 Washington St (Hanover), ☏ . 9AM-11PM daily, specific activities vary. Great family outing! Has 27 holes of miniature golf including 2 courses, 8 batting cages, a laser tag arena, rock climbing walls, a nice Go-Kart track, a golf driving range, arcade, and snack bar. Outdoor patio and beer garden.
- Hanover Crossing, 1775 Washington St (Hanover), ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-8PM, Su noon-6PM. A variety of stores including Wal-Mart, Macys, and Forever 21. Small food court including McDonald's, Orange Julius, Auntie Annes, Moes, and Subway. See new movies at great prices on 10 different screens.
- 1 Connie's Restaurant, 270 Main St (Hanson), ☏ . Sa-Th 6AM-3PM, F 6AM-8PM. Traditional breakfast restaurant. Ceramic mug coffee, blueberry pancakes, American flags, homefries, the placemats covered in tiny ads, you already know the place.
- JC's Dairy, 812 Washington Street (Hanover), ☏ . Seasonal. Locally run ice cream shop, very friendly staff with great ice cream, floats, and milkshakes.
- Joe's Coffee Shop, 346 Whiting St (Hanover), ☏ . M-F 6AM-2PM. A great breakfast and lunch diner that offers home cooked meals. This establishment has been in Hanover for over 60 years. Fresh cooked foods that fill your plates to the brim. Also has catering for special events.
- 2 The Olde Hitching Post (The Tavern at the Post), 48 Spring St (Hanson), ☏ . Tu-Su 4-9PM M closed. Family restaurant offering classic New England dishes and tavern featuring live music on the weekends. Kid friendly. $15-30.
- Siam Cuisine, 370 Columbia Rd (Hanover), ☏ . M-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F Sa 11:30AM-11PM. Thai. Excellent noodle dishes.
- 3 Strawberry Fair Restaurant, 14 Pond Street (Norwell), ☏ . 8AM-2:30PM daily.
- 1 Players Sports Bar & Grille, 86 VFW Drive (Rockland), ☏ . W-Sa noon-1AM, Su noon-9PM. Daily specials, great sports bar atmosphere.
- 2 The Fours, 285 Washington St (Norwell), ☏ . 11AM-10PM daily. Great food and sports bar mini-chain, often acclaimed by local papers like the Boston Globe and Phantom Gourmet.
- 1 Best Western Rockland, 909 Hingham Street (Rockland), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Complimentary breakfast, high-speed internet access, video games, a fitness center. From $134.
- 2 Comfort Inn Rockland - Boston, 850 Hingham St (Rockland), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. From $128.
- 3 DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Rockland, 929 Hingham St (Rockland), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Rates include complimentary parking and wireless internet. From $146.
- 4 Washington Park Motel, 149 Washington St (Norwell), ☏ .
Go next edit
- Boston — a multitude of things to do including duck tours, shopping, restaurants, sporting events, museums and concerts.
|Routes through Rockland|
|Boston ← Hingham ←||N S||→ Hanover → Plymouth|
|Attleboro ← Brockton ←||W E||→ Hanover → Scituate|
|Stoughton ← Holbrook ←||W E||→ Hanover → Duxbury|
|Hull ← Norwell ←||N S||→ END|