Overland Park [formerly dead link] is a city in northeastern Kansas. Located within the Kansas City metropolitan area, it is a melting-pot of both urban and suburban living. With 173.000 residents, it is one of the most affluent cities in the U.S..
Overland Park is the largest community in Johnson County, the economic engine that drives the Kansas City economy. The population is predominately white and well educated.
Kansas City International Airport is about 45 minutes away and is the primary airport for the entire Kansas City metro area.
There is a bus to the overland park campus from Lawrence k-10-connector [formerly dead link].
Interstates 35, 435, and 635 with U.S. 69 pass through Overland Park. Roads are generally uncongested and nearly all parking in the entire city is free.
North and South streets are named while East and West streets are numbered. Metcalf Ave will take you just about anywhere, although at parts, it has many lanes and is a bit confusing. Before driving on this street, make sure you know where you're going and don't drive on it during rush hour (5PM-7PM), or expect to be sitting there at least an hour. State Line is the street directly between Kansas and Missouri, thus the name. One strange road name is College Blvd, but is mainly due to Johnson County Community College in western Overland Park. College Blvd is 111th Street, despite the confusing name. Also, 135th St turns into Santa Fe as you're heading West. If you happen to be on Santa Fe, that means you're no longer in Overland Park, you are in Olathe. Overland Park lies between I-35 (north) and 199th St (south) and State Line (east) and Quivira (west).
- Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead, 13800 Switzer, ☏ . The Deanna Rose Farmstead is basically a farm petting zoo for kids, which they get a large kick out of. There are ducks to feed, sheep to pet, playgrounds to climb on and hay rides to take. It's a great place to bring kids for a picnic or an outing.
- Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, 8909 W. 179th St, ☏ . Lots of trails both mulch and paved though the woods. Lovely wooden areas, gardens, and a large pond. You can even bring your dog, but it's only allowed on certain trails and you should clean up after it.
- Kansas City Curling Club, 12140 West 135th St.
- Corporate Woods Jazz Festival.
- Farmers' Market, 7950 Marty St (between 79th and 80th Streets, under the Farmers Market Pavilion). Sa & W, closed winter. The downtown Overland Park Farmers' Market is a thriving open air market offering produce, flowers, specialty foods and entertainment for the entire family.
- Kansas International Film Festival (KIFF), Glenwood Arts Theatre, 9575 Metcalf Ave (on the east side of Metcalf South Shopping Center), ☏ .
- Johnson County Community College is located at the intersection of College Blvd. and Quivira Rd. With 35,000 students, JCCC offers both 2-year and 4-year programs. Also, the campus is host to the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art, as well as an on-site food court and several coffee-shops.
- Sprint World Headquarters, near 119th Street and Nall Ave.
- Overland Park Convention Center, 6000 College Blvd near Nall Ave.
There are two main shopping districts within Overland Park. If you want to venture north to Kansas City there is also the famous Crowne Center and Country Club Plaza which are especially beautiful around Christmas time when they are lit up with thousands of Christmas lights.
- Oak Park Mall, 69 Hwy at 95th St. Located off This mall has it all. With 1.6 million square ft of retail, it features JC Penny's, Nordstom's, Macy's, Barnes & Noble, and Dillards and many many more smaller shops. It also features great play areas for kids.
- Town Center Plaza. This open air mall is great. It features many high end shops, and a 20 screen movie theater. A nice place to spend some time.
- Garozzo's Ristorante. Mouthwatering spiedini and decadent tiramisu
- Ruchi Indian Restaurant.
- Hikari Japanese Steakhouse.
- BD's Mongolian BBQ.
- J. Gilbert's Steakhouse.
- Il Trullo.
- Johnny Cascone's. Good Italian style food. They often bring in jazz singers and bands to play in the middle of the restaurant.
- J Alexander's.
- Taco Via, 8615 W 95th St, ☏ . Mexican, Fast Food $.
- Wyandot Barbeque, 7215 W 75th St, ☏ . Barbecue $.
- Jack Stack Barbecue, 9520 Metcalf Ave, ☏ . Barbecue $$.
- The Peanut. Very smokey, but great hot chicken wings
- [dead link] AmeriSuites Overland Park/Convention Center, 5001 W. 110th St, ☏ .
- [dead link] AmeriSuites Overland Park/Metcalf, 6801 W 112th St, ☏ .
- Candlewood Suites, 11001 Oakmont, ☏ .
- Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, 11001 Woodson St, ☏ , fax: .
- Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Blvd., 11301 Metcalf Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn, 7240 Shawnee Mission Parkway, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 8787 Reeder Rd, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 10920 Nall Ave, ☏ .
- Overland Park Marriott, 10800 Metcalf Avenue, ☏ , fax: .
- Residence Inn Kansas City Overland Park, 12010 Blue Valley Pkwy, ☏ , fax: .
- SpringHill Suites Kansas City Overland Park, 12000 Blue Valley Parkway, ☏ , fax: .
- Wyndham Garden Hotel Overland Park, 7000 West 108th St, ☏ .
- Comfort Inn & Suites, 7200 W 107 th St (I-435 & Metcalf), ☏ . Check-in: 12 noon, check-out: 3:00. Deluxe Complimentary Breakfast, Complimentary High Speed Wireless, Refrigerator/Microwave in Each Room, on site fitness, Complimentary 24 hour Fitness Club passes, meeting rooms 79.95-129.95.
- Embassy Suites Overland Park, 10601 Metcalf Ave (I-435 & Metcalf), ☏ . Check-in: 12 noon, check-out: 3:00. Free breakfast, evening Manager's Reception, two-room suite, refrigerator and microwave in room, free 24 hour fitness center, indoor pool, meeting rooms from $99.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Overland Park, 10100 College Blvd (I-435 & Metcalf), ☏ . Check-in: 12 noon, check-out: 3:00. Restaurant, guest rooms, free 24 hour fitness center, indoor pool, meeting rooms from $99.
- Overland Park Convention and Visitor's Bureau [formerly dead link]
There are many churches in the area with many different denominations, although unity churches are very prominent. You can look in the local section of the Kansas City Star to find the location of one near you.
|Routes through Overland Park|
|Kansas City, MO ← Kansas City, KS ←||N S||→ Lenexa → Wichita|
|Hutchinson ← Lenexa ←||W E||→ Kansas City, MO → Jefferson City|
|McPherson ← Lenexa ←||W E||→ Kansas City, MO → END|
|Kansas City, MO ← Kansas City, KS ←||N S||→ Miami → Muskogee|