Sorsogon City is in Sorsogon Province.
The bay is silting up. Many cargo vessels can only get in at high tide now. A few families own almost everything. Most travellers are domestic. Fishing vessels need to travel farther and farther to find a decent catch. Then generators will be a must during the hot months as rolling blackouts will be the norm. Despite these problems the city is growing and still seems vibrant.
Beer is cheap and the people are friendly. Much less crime than Manila. Not much to see locally. Legazpi is as close to Donsol and has better shopping and amenities. Further south and travellers have a hard time finding reliable transport, uncontaminated water and food.
- Generally UV Express minivans or a bus are the main ways to get in from Legazpi City.
- There are jeepneys and buses going to and from Matnog Port (ferry port for Samar island).
Trikes are the main mode of transport within the city. ₱20 during the day and perhaps up to ₱40 later at night. Hiring a jeepney for a day is nice for beach trips. Santa Magdalena is ₱3500 for the day, Irosin hot springs ₱2500, Bacon beach ₱1500.
- Local honey. It's amazing. Seafood is great, but rather risky.
- SM Savemore Supermarket., Pan Philliine Highway. 8AM-10PM.
- LCC Supermarket, Magsaysay Street. 8AM-8PM. There is also an LCC Expressmart.
Casa Dominga may be the best restaurant in town. A bit on the outskirts but excellent. Magno Grill is the most trendy, but perhaps it tries too hard, and the WiFi never works. Una Pizzeria across from Fernando's Hotel is good. You can try the sushi place next door, which has a good reputation.
Don't drink the tap water.
- Hotel Santa Clara is between Sorsogon and the suburb of Pangpang. Hot water, AC, Wifi. ₱1500 for a room ₱2500 for an excellent suite with panoramic views.
- Villa Isabella. Near the provincial capital buildings. Closer to town. Rooms are tiny for the same price or more than Santa Clara. Double was quoted at ₱3300 a night.
- Fernando's Hotel. The only place with a dive compressor in town.
- [dead link] Mercedes Country Lodge., V.L. Peralta Street Corner Rizal Street (Downtown), ☏ . A good budget place to stay. Budget fan rooms with outside bathroom: ₱300/night. A/C rooms with own bathroom: ₱600/night..