While not the administrative capital of Khanty-Mansia, 300,000-strong Surgut is the largest city in the region, which is atypical in Russia. A growing population is the other distinctive feature of this city.
Climate-wise Surgut belongs to the Extreme North zone, winter lasts for seven months. The average temperature of January is −20.9 °C. July averages on +17.4 °C.
Direct train from Tyumen (#939) and Nizhnevartovsk (#952).
The river port doesn't serve passenger transportation.
- 1 Surgut Art Museum (Сургутский художественный музей), ul. 30 let Pobedy 21/2, ☏ . Opened in 1992 and built up from scratch this museum hosts both a permanent exhibition of the region art and culture as well as several rotating exhibitions on modern art.
- 2 Holy Transfiguration Cathedral (Собор в честь Преображения Господня), ul. Melik-Karamova, 76/1.
- Historical-cultural center "Old Surgut".
- Museum of regional studies.
- Sweet Sleep Hostel&Hotel, Ulitsa Dzerzhinskogo, 7/1. +7 800 775-50-90. Just a low-key hostel with kitchen, etc.
- Tundrino - old Russian village with 19th-century church.
- Lyantor - village of Khanti of Pim river. You will see the museum and ethnic park with traditional Khanti habitats.