Get in Edit
By air Edit
By road Edit
By road, leave the M5 motorway at exit 25. Taunton has a railway station on the main line from London Paddington (typical journey time 2 hr 5 min) to Exeter (25 min), Plymouth (1 hr 30 min), and Penzance (3 hr 40 min). Bristol is 35 min away by rail.
By train Edit
- First Great Western operate direct trains to London Paddington and to Worcester and Great Malvern.
- CrossCountry operate services to Taunton from Birmingham, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- Both companies run direct trains to Bristol and Cheltenham Spa, Exeter, Paignton, Plymouth, and Penzance.
- For train times, see National Rail Enquiries.
By bus Edit
South West Falcon operates a service connecting Bristol, Taunton, Exeter and Plymouth. A single fare from Plymouth to Bristol is £28. Tickets can be booked online in advance, but reservations are not strictly required.
Get around Edit
Traffic in Taunton is awful. A park and ride service (the Taunton Flyer) provides transport between the town centre and a large car park at Silk Mills.
The best options are to walk or take a bus. However, the bus and railway stations are a good 15 minutes' walk apart!
By bus Edit
Buses are frequent during the week, but evenings and Sundays are very limited. Buses operated by Firstbus - They are expensive.
- 1 Museum of Somerset, Castle Green, TA1 4AA, ☏ , email@example.com. Tu-Sa and Bank Holiday M 10AM-5PM. Volunteer-run museum of local history. Free, donations welcome.
- 2 Hestercombe House and Gardens. This is one of the finest examples of the world-renowned partnership between garden designer Gertrude Jekyll and architect Sir Edwin Lutyens.
- 3 [formerly dead link] Somerset Cricket Museum, 7 Priory Ave, ☏ . Apr-Oct Tu-F 11AM-3:30PM (phone if travelling). Small volunteer-run museum about cricket. £1.
- 1 Brewhouse Theatre, Coal Orchard TA1 1JL, ☏ . Professional and community theatre.
- Watch cricket at 2 County Ground, St James St TA1 1JT (just east of river). Somerset CCC play in the First Division of the County Championship.
- Go to the races at 3 Taunton Racecourse, Orchard Portman TA3 7BL (B3170 two miles south of town), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. But only in winter, as (unusually) this is only a jumps course, with meetings every fortnight or so Oct-March. The course is near M5 but there's no junction with B3170, you need to exit at jcn 25 onto A358 west, then left onto Bridgewater Rd to zigzag around town.
All of the major fast food chains are represented, including two branches each of Subway and McDonalds. The town has a range of coffee shops, including the major chains Starbucks, Costa and Caffè Nero.
- 1 Pizza Express, 20 Bridge Street, TA1 1UB, ☏ . Su-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F Sa 11:30AM-11PM.
- 2 @Tristans, 11 East Reach, TA1 3EW, ☏ . Tu-Th 6:30PM-midnight, F Sa 6PM-midnight, Su M closed.
- Castle Bow Restaurant, in Castle Hotel, see Sleep, ☏ . W-Sa 6:30-9PM. Has a national reputation for cooking excellence, although the prices and formality reflect its fame. The hotel also has Brazz (open daily, breakfast 8-10AM, lunch noon-3PM, dinner 6-9PM, two-course set menu £12). tasting menu £64, a la carte mains from £20.
- 3 [formerly dead link] Willow Tree, 3 Tower Lane, ☏ . Tu W F Sa from 6:30PM. Cozy restaurant with superb food, open only in the evening. from £28.
- The Skewer House, 41 Bridge Street TA1 1TP, ☏ . Traditional and authentic Portuguese food.
- 4 The Barn, opened in 2021, is on Pound Lane in Bishop's Lydeard 8 miles northwest of Taunton. It's modern British cuisine, served Th-Sa 12:00-23:00, W & Su 12:00-16:00.
- 1 The Perkin Warbeck, 22–23 East Street, TA1 3LP, ☏ . Su-Th 8AM-midnight, F 8AM-1AM, Sa 8AM-2AM. JD Wetherspoon's pub. Its name comes from the supposed heir to the throne who marched an army into Taunton and was executed at the castle.
- 2 The Coal Orchard, 30 Bridge St, TA1 1UD, ☏ . Su-Th 8AM-midnight, F Sa 8AM-1AM. JD Wetherspoon's pub.
- The Plough Inn, 75 Station Road,, ☏ .
- 1 Holiday Inn Taunton, Deane Gate Avenue, ☏ . There is also a Holiday Inn Express nearby.
- 2 Corner House Hotel, 4 Wellington Rd, ☏ . 45-room hotel spread over three buildings, but with no lift. Rooms from £61.
- 3 Castle Hotel, Castle Green TA1 4AD, ☏ . Upscale hotel, some rooms still need an overhaul. Often booked out for weddings. With good restaurant. B&B double from £180.
- 4 Middle Stone Farm Glamping, Brompton Ralph TA4 2RT, ☏ . Safari glamping tents on a working farm. Tent £120.
As of May 2022, Taunton has 5G from EE and Three, and 4G from O2 and Vodafone.
Go next Edit
- West Somerset Railway, run by volunteers. Recapture the age of steam.
- Glastonbury, a place of pilgrimage, .
- Cheddar Caves and Gorge, .
|Routes through Taunton|
|Plymouth ← Tiverton ←||SW NE||→ Bridgwater → Bristol|