Wakefield, Massachusetts is a scenic town 12 miles north of Boston with a population of about 27,000 (2020). Wakefield has preserved much of its historic New England appearance and is recognized for its strong community involvement, quality school system, thriving businesses, public library, and for beautiful Lake Quannapowitt, which plays host to outdoor festivals and benefit activities each year.
Lynnfield is a town with a population of 13,000 (2020).
Wakefield is off route 128/I-95. The town spans from Exit 38 to Exit 42. Any of the five exits will take you into the center of town. Route 129 can also take you in to Wakefield from the east.
Wakefield is served by MBTA commuter rail from Boston, as well as the 136/137 bus.
- 1 Wakefield railway station, 225 North Ave.
The easiest way to get around is by car. There is limited public transportation -- only the 136/137 bus and 2 commuter rail stations serve the town. If you are active, a bike is also a good choice.
- 1 Col. James Hartshorne House (Church–Lafayette Streets Historic District), 41 Church St, ☏ +1 781-245-3935. On the shores of beautiful Lake Quannapowitt, the Colonel James Hartshorne House was built in 1681 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Throughout its life it has served as a private residence, a tavern, and a tenement for icehouse workers for the adjoining Morrill-Atwood Ice Company.
- 2 Lake Quannapowitt, 468 North Ave. Sunrise-sunset daily. The lake is 3.5 miles around, which makes it ideal for the daily run or walk. At the head of the lake, there is Wakefield Common, which has a park and a gazebo, where many events, such as concerts and Independence Day festivities, are held. Walkers and joggers circle Lake Quannapowitt's shores year round, and in the warmer months, boaters set sail from the nation's oldest inland yacht club. Free.
- 1 Kippos Roast Beef, 117 Water St, ☏ +1 781-246-1161. 11AM-9PM daily.
- 2 Floramo's Wakefield, 1099 Main St, ☏ +1 781-245-0200. M-Sa 11:30AM-10:30PM, Su noon-11PM.
- 1 Four Points by Sheraton Wakefield Boston Hotel & Conference Center, One Audubon Road, ☏ +1 781-245-9300. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. Sheraton Colonial features meeting space capable of accommodating 450 people and 280 guestrooms with HD flat-panel televisions, Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding and Shine by Bliss bath products.
- 2 Clarion Inn, 595 North Ave, ☏ +1 781-245-6100. Features meeting space capable of accommodating 100 people and 87 guestrooms. The Inn is on the shores of Lake Quannapowitt.
|Routes through Wakefield|
|Portsmouth ← Peabody ←||N S||→ Reading → Weston|
|Chelmsford ← Reading ←||W E||→ Saugus → Lynn|
|Haverhill ← Reading ←||N S||→ Melrose → Boston|