Travel topics > Cultural attractions > Architecture > Wooden tserkvas of the Carpathian region
These churches ("tserkvas", from the Ukrainian singular word for church Церква, "tserkva" ) are examples of traditional local log architecture and Orthodox ecclesiastic design. Built during the 16th-19th centuries, most of them are still in use as Orthodox or Eastern Catholic churches, though Radruż, Rohatyn and Drohobych have been turned into museums.
- 1 Brunary Wyżne-Tserkva of Saint Michael the Archangel (15 km south-southeast of Grybow, which in turn is about 20 km east of Nowy Sącz).
- 2 Chotyniec-Tserkva of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary (east of Rzeszów, just before the Ukrainian border).
- 3 Kwiatoń-Tserkva of Saint Paraskeva (about 25 km southeast of Grybow).
- 4 Owczary-Tserkva of Our Lady’s Protection (about 20 km east of Grybow as the crow flies).
- 5 Powroźnik-Tserkva of Saint James the Less, the Apostle (about 5 km south of Krynica-Zdrój).
- 6 Radruż-Tserkva of Saint Paraskeva (about 30 km south of Bełżec as the crow flies, near the Ukrainian border).
- 7 Smolnik-Tserkva of Saint Michael the Archangel (about 30 km southeast of Solina as the crow flies, near the Ukrainian border).
- 8 Turzańsk-Tserkva of Saint Michael the Archangel (about 20 km south of Sanok).
- 9 Drohobych-Tserkva of Saint George (about 10 km north of Truskavets, or about 60 km southwest of Lviv).
- 10 Matkiv-Tserkva of the Synaxis of the Blessed Virgin Mary (about 60 km northeast of Mukachevo).
- 11 Nyzhniy Verbizh-Tserkva of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (southern outskirts of Kolomyia).
- 12 Potelych-Tserkva of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (50 km northwest of Lviv, near the Polish border).
- 13 Rohatyn-Tserkva of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (halfway between Lviv and Ivano-Frankivsk, about 70 km from each).
- 14 Uzhok-Tserkva of the Synaxis of the Archangel Michael (about 30 km northeast of Perechyn as the crow flies, near the Polish border).
- 15 Yasynia-Tserkva of Our Lord’s Ascension (halfway between Rakhiv and Yaremche, about 25 km from each).
- 16 Zhovkva-Tserkva of the Holy Trinity (in Zhovkva).