Palestine is a city in the Blackland Prairie region of Texas. It dates way back to the origins of the Texas Republic practically, when Anderson County was carved out and needed a county seat. Then it was a stage stop on the route between Texarkana and Austin (yee-haw) and later a stop for the railroad, from which it derives a lot of its fame today, because of a popular restored line between here and Rusk that offers a sense of train travel of yesteryear through the Piney Woods. The town itself looks a little stuck in the past, and can be worth a gander.
- Museum For East Texas Culture, 400 S Micheaux Ave St, ☏ . The building housing this collection is very goth; you might have to go look at some playful puppies later if you spend too much time here.
- Railroad Heritage Center, 808 W Oak St, ☏ . This museum showcases the heritage of railway history in Palestine, from the International and Great Northern Railroad to the emergence of a major depot for the Union Pacific.
- Texas State Railroad Palestine Depot, 789 Park Rd 70, ☏ . Not to be blunt, but this probably is the main tourist destination here in Palestine, offering vintage rides from Palestine to Rusk thru Piney Wood splendor. Takes on a Polar Express theme around Christmas.
- Fig Tree Manor, 203 E Erwin, ☏ .
- Old Magnolia Sandwich Shop, 120 W Oak St, ☏ . Gourmet sandwich shop in historic down town, also a coffee house.
- MAMA Seafood Restaurant, 908 W Palestine Ave, ☏ . Mmm, breaded catfish.
- Pronto Gyros & Pizza LLC, 402 E Palestine Ave, ☏ . Daily 11AM-8PM. Lots of cheese, take your Lactaid if intolerant.
- Giovanni's Restorante Italiano, 2027 W Palestine Ave, ☏ .
- LaChaparra's, 204 N Church St, ☏ . Authentic Mexican cuisine
- Sabor a Pasion Bistro, 110 ACR 406, ☏ . Truly the best cuisine in town.
- Best Western, 1601 W Palestine Ave, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn Express, 1030 E Palestine Ave, ☏ .
- La Quinta Inn, 3000 S Loop 256, ☏ .
- Fig Tree Manor, 203 E Erwin St, ☏ . Very nice accommodations with excellent cafe serving lunch and dinner.
- Palestine Convention & Visitor, 825 W Spring St, +1 903-723-3014
|Routes through Palestine|
|Shreveport ← Carthage ←||N S||→ Jct N S → Round Rock → END|
|Waco ← Fairfield ←||W E||→ Logansport → Mansfield|
|Fort Worth ← Corsicana ←||N S||→ Beaumont → Port Arthur|