Tagum is known for many things, like its coconut and banana plantations, its festivals, and marching bands. It is the commercial and educational center of Davao del Norte, and one of the most livable cities in the Philippines after Laoag in Ilocos Norte and Talisay in Cebu on a 2017 report on Philippine cities. It is 55 km (34 mi) north from Davao City.
Tagum started as the town of Magugpo, and was inhabited by the indigenous Mansaka people. The first migrants came in the 1920s, under American-era homesteading programs, and Tagum's first schools are first built in the 1930s. The town used to be part of a larger Davao City, until it was separated in the 1940s. Magugpo is eventually renamed Tagum in 1948.
The 1950s is marked by progress, with the construction of roads, a town hall, and a public market. Tagum's present boundaries are drawn out, and two colleges, the Roman Catholic Holy Cross College and the public Mindanao Colleges, now St. Mary's College and University of Mindanao respectively, are opened, making the town the second place to provide college education in Davao region.
Tagum became the capital of the new province of Davao del Norte after the larger Davao province is split in the late 1960s, but the 1980s would be marked by political turmoil and economic turndown. Tagum's abaca and coconut industries gave way to bananas in the 1970s, and to mining in the late 1980s, leading into a construction boom in the 1990s, which led into its cityhood by 1998.
Tagum does not have a central bus station, but does receive many buses plying the highway between Davao City to the south and Butuan and Surigao City to the north. There are frequent bus service from Davao City on carriers such as Land Car Inc., Golden Valley, Jian Liner, and Bachelor Express. From Manila, you can take the long-haul buses operated by Philtranco from their terminal at Pasay.
- There many tricycles which cost ₱8 for the first 2 km (1.2 mi).
- The Resurrected Christ. The world's largest wooden rosary.
- Musikahan Sa Tagum Festival.
- Durlan Festival.
Shopping malls & supermarketsEdit
- Gaisanao Mall of Tagum., Pan Philippine hwy. 9AM-8PM. The largest Gaisanao mall in Tagum. Has a KFC.
- NCCC Mall of Tagum, Pan Philippine Hwy. 9AM-8PM.
- Gaisano Grand Mall, Apokon road. 9AM-8PM.
- Robinsons Mall & Robinsons Supermarket & South Star Drug, Amanilenyo crossing tagum. 9AM-8PM.
- Puregold Tagum, Apokon road. 8AM-9PM. Supermarket.
- City Mall, Pan Philippine Highway. 8AM-8PM.
Banks & ATMsEdit
- PNB Bank, Pioneer avenue.. 24-hour ATM. Visa Card ATM.
- Bank of the Philippines Islands BPI, Pioneer Avenue.. 24-hour ATM. Master Card/Visa ATM.
- Metro Bank, Rizal Street. 24-hour ATM. Master Card/Visa Card atm.
- BDO Bank, 577 Rizal Street.. 24-hour ATM. Master Card/Visa Card ATM.
- Dencio's Kamayan Tagum, National Highway (next to Jollibee and Chowking). 7AM-10AM. All you can eat and drink breakfast. ₱128 per person.
- Kings Haven Hometel, Purok Sampaguita Road 2 Seminary drive Davao de norte. Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. 10-bed dorm and double rooms. Dorm ₱200, double ₱450.
- [dead link] Tugum City Lakans Place, National Highway (next to Robinsons mall), toll-free: . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. A/C double room with own bathroom and cable TV. Has a swimming pool. If you just use the swimming pool, ₱65 per person. Double ₱750, 10% off if staying 3 days.
- Royale Budget Inn, Jose Abad Santos Street. Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. Single/double rooms. from ₱400.
- Iguana Lodging House (near Rotary Park). Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. Single/double rooms with bathroom. ₱400.
- Molave Hotel, Osmena Street, ☏ . Check-in: 1noon, check-out: 11AM. A/C double with own bathroom and cable TV. ₱450.
- Prime Hotel, Rizal Street, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. a/c double room with own hot water bathroom. also has cable TV. ₱450.
- Valle Hotel, Osmena Street, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. A/C double with own bathroom. ₱450.
- Celebraty Lodge, Roxas Street, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. Double room with own bathroom. ₱500.
- Aureaus Inn, Pioneer Avenue, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM. Double room with bathroom. ₱500.
- Masters Inn, Purok 7 San Miguel (campo 4) Tagum. Check-in: 24 hours. A/C double room with own bathroom and cable TV. ₱699.
- R V Travelers inn. Qurante 11 street. +63 84 2187863. a.c double room with outside bathroom ₱500. Fan double outside bathroom ₱350.
- Davao Regional Medical Center. Apokon Road Tagum. Phone ,+63 84-4003347.