To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page.
If you are a Wikipedian then you may notice some differences in policies and the style of our articles. These include:
- NPOV → be fair (not quite the same thing!)
- be bold → plunge forward
- Village pump → travellers' pub
- External links → We do not use a separate external links section, but incorporate primary links only into the text itself.
- sandbox → graffiti wall
- stub notes → Article status notes
It may also be very useful for you to check out Wikivoyage:Welcome, Wikipedians. If you need help, take a look at Wikivoyage:Help, or else post a message in the travellers' pub or on my talk page. Thanks for contributing!--ϒpsilon (talk) 19:47, 13 February 2016 (UTC)
Hello, and thanks for your helpful edits! Be careful, though: We do want a link to the corresponding Wikipedia article and Commons category or article for every Wikivoyage article. It's not sufficient to refer people to Wikidata: We want the WP and Commons links to appear in the sidebar on the left side of the page, and the only way to do that is to have it encoded at the end of the WV article. So please don't delete those codes. Thanks.
All the best,
- @Ikan Kekek: can you please point out some of my edits? I was just removing inter-wiki links which became obsolete after I connected the Wikivoyage pages to Wikidata items. The links are than directly transcluded from Wikidata. Best wishes. -- T.seppelt (talk) 20:06, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
- Please read Wikipedia:Wikidata#Interlanguage links (Phase 1). This should also be valid for Wikivoyage according to Wikidata:Wikivoyage. With this edit I connected Matagi Island to Q2368586. This Wikidata item contains all sitelinks which were previously in the article. -- T.seppelt (talk) 20:13, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
- The point is that the corresponding Wikipedia article and Commons category are not linked from the Wikivoyage article. We don't want people to have to go to Wikidata, then click again to get to the corresponding Wikipedia article and Commons category. You should delete links for any other-language Wikivoyage articles that you see, but not WP and Commons links in the sidebar. If you think I'm wrong, we need to have a policy discussion at Wikivoyage talk:External links to clear this up, because what I am saying is current Wikivoyage policy, extremely well-established, and no-one so far had called for changing it by deleting the links. Ikan Kekek (talk) 20:25, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
Population for Ethiopia in quickbarEdit
Hi. I deleted an incorrect population figure for Ethiopia from Wikidata, but now the quickbar in WV shows a very old population, not the latest one. Do you know how to make it show the latest one? Thanks. Nurg (talk) 11:02, 4 June 2016 (UTC)