To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page.
If you are a Wikipedian then you may notice some differences in policies and the style of our articles. These include:
- NPOV → be fair (not quite the same thing!)
- be bold → plunge forward
- Village pump → travellers' pub
- External links → We do not use a separate external links section, but incorporate primary links only into the text itself.
- sandbox → graffiti wall
- stub tagging → Article status
It may also be very useful for you to check out Wikivoyage:Welcome, Wikipedians. If you need help, take a look at Wikivoyage:Help, or else post a message in the travellers' pub or on my talk page. Thanks for contributing!
Thanks, particularly, for helping us with Wikidata integration in Budapest! Did you know our listing editor has a bidirectional sync function for local values and Wikidata values? ARR8 (talk | contribs) 13:49, 24 March 2019 (UTC)
- @ARR8: Thanks for the links! I’ve already found the option to import data from Wikidata, but I haven’t used it yet. To be honest, I’m very cautious with Wikidata—I love it and I think it’s a great project, but many people don’t think so and hate importing data from Wikidata, so I try to avoid conflicts, especially as a newbie. (This is a global experience, I don’t know what‘s the opinion here at Wikivoyage.) —Tacsipacsi (talk) 19:36, 25 March 2019 (UTC)
- I know the feeling and thank you for your caution. As I see you've noticed, though, the Wikidata update functionality is more full-featured than importing data - I rewrote it a while ago to allow easy comparison of the data on both sites, and support sending values back to Wikidata, with full reference support.
- However, even just linking listings to Wikidata items is greatly appreciated. There are some values that are automatically fetched in the absence of local values, such as coordinates, a thumbnail, and the Wikipedia link. I'm hoping to expand this in the future as appropriate.
- If you have any feedback on the matter of Wikivoyage-Wikidata integration and user experience, both as an experienced Wikidata editor and a new Wikivoyage editor, I'd be grateful to hear it. In any case, if you have any questions about Wikivoyage, feel free to ask me or the community as a whole. --ARR8 (talk | contribs) 02:36, 26 March 2019 (UTC)