Shandong (山东; Shāndōng) is a province in China. Also referred to as Chiloo (齐鲁, Qilu), The Giant State (Shandong people are known to be the tallest in the country), and the hometown of Confucius.
The name means east of the mountains. Shandong is a coastal province situated by the Bohai Sea to the north and the Yellow Sea to the south. The Yellow River runs through the province.
Main attractions are Qufu (the birthplace of Confucius), Mount Tai (holy mountain in Chinese belief, the most climbed mountain in China), Qingdao (nice port city with beaches and German buildings) and Yantai (holiday city with lots of European buildings). The capital, Jinan (a city of springs where water and willows are famous), is renowned for its artesian springs and serves as a transport hub for the region.
- 1 Jinan 济南- the capital
- 2 Tai'an 泰安- the town established because of Mt. Tai
- 3 Qingdao 青岛- or Tsingtao the largest city, former German concession, home of Tsingtao Brewery
- 4 Qufu 曲阜 - the birthplace of Confucius
- 5 Weihai 威海 - or Port Edward a seaside resort at the eastern end of the peninsula. Formerly, a British naval base.
- 6 Yantai 烟台 - or Chipoo, holiday city with beaches
- 7 Zoucheng 邹城 - the birthplace of Mencius
- 8 Dezhou 德州
- 9 Dongying 东营
- 10 Heze 菏泽
- 11 Jining 济宁
- 12 Laiwu 莱芜 - smallest city in Shandong Province
- 13 Laixi 莱西
- 14 Laiyang 莱阳
- 15 Linyi 临沂
- 16 Qingzhou 青州
- 17 Rizhao 日照 - seaport city south of Qingdao
- 18 Weifang 潍坊
- 19 Zibo 淄博
There are a few major international airports including Jinan Yaoqiang Airport, Qingdao Liuting Airport, Yantai Penglai Airport, and Weihai Dashuipo Airport.