Talk:Cebu (city)/Archive 2014-2017
Too many "Sleep" listings?Edit
One of the non-goals of this guide is to be a "Yellow Pages" that has long lists of "Sleep," "Eat," "Drink" or "Buy" entries. Is there a good way to subdivide the "Sleep" listings, especially those in the "Budget" category? If not, it may be time to consider deleting the listings that are less useful to travelers. Ikan Kekek (talk) 22:22, 2 November 2014 (UTC)
- This is still a problem. One of the worst sections, I think is Cebu_(city)#Shopping which just lists a bunch of stores with no addresses or other details for any of them. I am inclined to just delete the whole section.
- I do think there is a place for listings of specific stores of these big chains in some contexts; e.g. Dumaguete#Along_the_boulevard mentions a 7-Eleven there, and a description of Ayala Mall might mention that it includes a Robinson's.
- However, I cannot see that "part of the Puregold group in the Philippines with over 300 stores" is of any use to travellers. It seems to me that this sort of thing should be mentioned at most once in the country article and can be deleted on sight at lower levels. Other opinions? Pashley (talk) 23:12, 3 September 2016 (UTC)
Re-organize some things?Edit
I recently added a page for Metro Cebu; I think that was worth doing but comment is invited.
Currently this article has things like See listings for the Lapu Lapu statue and "Life-size statues of popes, Stations of the Cross and Mysteries of the Holy Rosary in Danao City." These are not in Cebu City so I think they should be moved to the Lapu Lapu and Danao City articles. Whether they should also be mentioned in the Metro Cebu article seems debatable; I'd say yes for the Lapu Lapu statue and no for the others.
It also mentions beaches on Mactan and various other things that I do not think are actually in Cebu City. Some Sleep listings are on Mactan as well. I suspect that a general cleanup & re-organisation effort is needed here. Pashley (talk) 12:16, 23 February 2015 (UTC)
- Both the Cebu and Lapu Lapu articles have material on the airport, which is located in Lapu Lapu but serves the whole region. I think one description would be enough, probably in the Metro Cebu article with links from the others. Pashley (talk) 12:55, 23 February 2015 (UTC)
- To clarify, I changed the Metro Cebu page to an "outline region" article. As an article, it shouldn't be a "city" unless it uses the huge city template, with the articles under it using the district template, and this didn't appear to me to be a case where we were trying to present Metro Cebu as a single huge city, especially since some of the child articles are up to 40 km distant from the center. Texugo (talk) 13:04, 23 February 2015 (UTC)
- I've now moved the airport info to Lapu Lapu, added a redirect at Mactan-Cebu International Airport, and put links in other articles. The airport text desperately needs a major copy edit, though, & I will have no time to do that anytime soon. Pashley (talk) 15:30, 30 August 2015 (UTC)
Malls & SupermarketsEdit
- Colonnade Supermarket, 82-90 Colon Street, ☏ Colon 032-2552510. 6am-9pm. the best priced supermarket in Cebu. there is also a store in Mandaue lower prices.
- Robinsons Malls & Robinsons Supermarkets & MiniStop & South Star Drug. 8 am 8pm. all part of Robinsons group. higher prices.
- SM Malls & Savemore supermarkets & Alfamart. 8am-9pm. all part of the SM group high prices..
- Gaisano Malls & Supermarkets (Metro). 6 am-9 pm. many Gaisano all over Cebu. lower prices..
- Shopwise & Rustans & Wellcome & Family Mart & Rose Pharmacy. 8am-8pm. part of Dairy farm (HK) which has supermarkets all over Asia. higher prices.
- Puregold & S&R & Lawson & Three Sixty Pharmacy. 7am-9pm. all part of the Puregold group. lower prices.
- Prince Hypemarket. 8am- 8pm. now has 20 stores . higher prices.
- 7-Eleven. 24 hours. has over 2000 stores in the Philippines and is opening new stores every week. higher prices.
- City Malls (Bacalso & Consolacion). 8am-9pm. 33% owned by Jollibee and 34% owned by sm. will soon have 100 malls around the Philippines.
- Fooda Saversmart, 280 Gen Maxilom Avenue, ☏ . 8am-8pm. there are now five Fooda Supermarkets in cebu city lower prices.
- Unitop Department Store, 184 Osmena Boulevard, ☏ 32-2551489. 9am-9pm. also has a stores in Mandaue and one in Lapa-lapu lower prices.
- Kaking Discout Store, 6 Dionnisio Jakosalem Street (over the street from Basilca de santo nino). 9am-8pm. sells lots of things at . lower prices.
- La Nueva Supermarkets and Pharmacy, M C Briones Street City Hall, ☏ 32-2538360. 06.30am-7.30pm. there are also stores in Minglanilla and Lapu-lapu
- Elizabeth Mall, Corner Natalio B Bacalso Avenue & Leon Kilat Street. 9am-8pm. Cell phone shops, fast food outlets, air/ferry tickets, food court. savemore supermarket.
Put supermarket chains in Philippines article?Edit
I suggested some time back under #Too_many_.22Sleep.22_listings.3F that many of the supermarket listings should be removed. More recently User:Ibaman actually removed them; see Talk:Cebu_(city)#Supermarkets. However, we have at least one IP user (mostly User:126.96.36.199) actively adding them back. I do not think we need so much detail, but I am also rather reluctant to just delete a lot of clearly well-intentioned work, apparently by a new user.
So link to Philippines#Big_Supermarkets (Does that need expansion? Could our IP user do that?), mention here that all those chains are represented & more-or-less leave it at that? I'd add a few things, like Robinson's have a big store centrally located on Fuente Circle, SM have their own large mall & Ayala Mall has at least two supermarkets, Robinson's & another. I'm not certain, though, which are worth mentioning. Pashley (talk) 10:23, 13 April 2017 (UTC)
Hardware stores, membership stores, furniture storesEdit
The article describes convenience stores as "ubiquitous", so we don't have to help readers find then - they are everywhere. It seems unlikely that readers will use the links to two of the chains to find these stores. Mentioning names and providing these links seems like we are promoting these chains over other chains and over independent sari sari shops.
As far as providing ownership information about chains or how many they have in the Philippines, let's remember that this is a travel guide for Cebu City, not a Wikipedia article.
- For the convenience stores, an anon user created a === section for them with listings. I deleted that, put in a paragraph about such stores, added mention of sari-sari shops, & put the chains he or she had listed into text. I'd not be upset if the whole paragraph were deleted, though the anon user might be. If we keep it, I'd say mentioning the larger chains & giving links is worthwhile.
- For the malls, by all means trim. At one point there was a ===Shopping malls=== heading, but I deleted it. There is still Cebu_(city)#Department_stores_and_supermarkets; I think that heading should go too, along with most of the listings under it. I'd like to end up with just some text (approximately what is there now) at the top and listings for 6-10 of the most important malls. I've started that, listifying some, but am not sure which others are worth keeping.
- I think the whole ===Pharmacies=== section could go too since those are ubiquitous. Pashley (talk) 12:20, 10 October 2017 (UTC)
- Did some more cleanup. I now think all of Cebu_(city)#Department_stores_and_supermarkets should go, along with the pharmacies. We mention lots of shopping in Colon & around Fuente Osmena; that covers most or all these stores.
- Other opinions? User:188.8.131.52; you have done a lot of clearly well-intentioned work adding these listings. Care to comment? Pashley (talk) 16:09, 10 October 2017 (UTC)
Removed some from Buy section per discussion above, preserving it here:
Department stores and supermarketsEdit
- Colonade Supermarket, 82-90 Colon Street, ☏ . 06:00-21:00. Best priced supermarket in Cebu. lower prices.
- Fooda Saversmarts, General Maxilom Avenue, Guadalupe, Kasambagan, and Consolacion., ☏ . 08:00-20:00. lower prices.
- Gaisano Capital South, Colon Street, and in Mandaue, ☏ . 09:00-20:00. A low-price supermarket & department store. lower prices.
- Gaisano Metro Department Store & Supermarket, Colon street Corner Juan Luna Street, ☏ . 06:00-20:00. Many locations.
- Prince Supermarkets, P Burgos Street, ☏ . 07:30-20:00. Many locations. higher price.
- L A Nueva Supermarkets, M C Bliones Street. 07:00-20:00. 3 locations. higher prices.
- Unitop Department Stores, 184 Osmena Boulevard, ☏ . 09:00-21:30. 4 locations in cebu. lower prices.
- Kaking Discount Stores, 6 Dionisio Jakosalen street. 09:00-20:00. 7 locations. lower prices.
- Gaisano Main, 50 Colon Street, ☏ . 07:00-21:00. Supermarket & department store. lower prices.
- Shopwise Hypermarket, N Bacalso Avenue, ☏ . 08:00-22:00. Part of Dairy Food Hong Kong. higher prices.
Additions for Stay healthy?Edit
We currently list three dentists. Why these? Are they recommended or just random choices? If the latter, they can be deleted since no-one is going to have trouble finding a dentist; for one thing, Ayala, SM & probably other malls have dental clinics.
- as there are the best Dentists for the price in Cebu.
A traveller in Dumaguete told me one of the Cebu hospitals has a really excellent dental section, but I have forgotten details. Does anyone know about that?
- yes at 3 times the price.
People I knew in China had laser eye surgery (& in one case cataract surgery) there & reported it was well done & much cheaper than at home. Are these services available in Cebu? Good? Cheap? Web search turns up two hospitals with eye clinics, Chong Hua & Doctors'. Pashley (talk) 12:12, 13 October 2017 (UTC)
- Should we list the main hospitals? Are there doctors or dentists that the many expats in Cebu favour? Do any have arrangements with foreign insurance providers that might make things easier? There's a hospital in Manila that US veterans can use (mostly? entirely?) at US gov't expense; is there one in Cebu? Pashley (talk) 12:27, 13 October 2017 (UTC)
- all the malls on the list are high end malls. the ones I had on the list more people use and cost a lot less
- the dental places on the list all have good prices. the ones in the malls all ask 3 times the price.
- there is no veterans hospital in Cebu and the hospital on the list is the most low cost Hospital in Cebu —The preceding comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs)
every one needs to find prarmacies the ones that used to be on list are all low cost Prarmacies
Mini-stop has closed most of its stores in Cebu. there is only a few left
- I'm not sure pharmacies are worth listing since there are so many. What do others think?
- What about dentists? 90.whatever wants to list some low-cost ones, even though there are dozens more. That does make sense, but as a traveller I'd be more interested in finding the best ones than the cheapest. Maybe list the ones that Cebu expats use? Pashley (talk) 00:18, 18 October 2017 (UTC)
- If there is a serious difference in cost, then maybe that should be explained in the article, rather than just having a list with no explanation.
- IP user, please write new comments at the bottom of the thread, rather than in the middle of someone else's comment. Please also sign your comments by typing four tildes, like this: ~~~~. --ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 22:36, 21 October 2017 (UTC)
- @Pashley: I guess it depends what kind of traveller you are. As a skint student, I'd definitely be looking to save money wherever possible, though perhaps the older and wiser would prefer to splash out on medical matters :-) It also probably depends on what kind of travel insurance cover you have, or indeed if you have any. --ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 22:38, 21 October 2017 (UTC)
The anon editor with IPs starting with 92.30. has been making a lot of careless edits that are messing up the article -- not bothering to use capital letters, incorrect time formats, incomplete sentences. I don't feel like cleaning up his or her mess. Is someone else willing to, or should we just start rolling back these edits? Ground Zero (talk) 17:48, 17 October 2017 (UTC)
- He or she is adding some useful info. I've done some cleanup & rolled back some things. Pashley (talk) 00:02, 18 October 2017 (UTC)
it seem like many have not been to cebu or most of the philippines many of the info on the pages were out of dateEdit
I have lived in the Philippines for 24 years and have been to most of the towns in the Philippines. I have been to all the towns I update and only put info which I know is real.
- Keep on plunging forward. You know your country and we know Wikivoyage policies and formatting. Don't stop! Ibaman (talk) 18:24, 18 October 2017 (UTC)
- I'm not questioning the anon editor's knowledge of his or her country. He/she has left a message on my talk page, and I have clarified my intent in my response. I'm really asking him or her to try to make edits that are more useful to readers by making them easier to read - standard capitalization and punctuation. I have provided a link to help him/her get started on make ng better edits. Well, I'll provide it here too: Wikivoyage:Tips for new contributors. More help from other editors on cleaning up this article would be appreciated! Ground Zero (talk) 18:31, 18 October 2017 (UTC)