Happy New Year, Wikivoyagers - hopefully a better year than the last one. Talk page messages for me should be left here, or else please see the archives (right) for older discussions.
-- AndreCarrotflower (talk) 05:47, 1 January 2021 (UTC)
Warning box for USEdit
It is pretty much incontrovertible right now that people have died during the capitol protest on Jan. 6 in DC, since there are multiple, reputable media reports on such. Not accusing anyone of anything here, but we should present the truth everywhere, even when it looks bad. Kiteinthewind (talk) 07:17, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- Why not discuss at Talk:United States of America#Update Warning Box, where updating the warning box already was suggested, but deemed not necessary. –LPfi (talk) 08:07, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
Are you having many issues with this git doing account name imitation? Ping me if it is problematic, as we can do things at the metawiki system level. Billinghurst (talk) 04:05, 16 January 2021 (UTC)
"really embarrassing typos in edit summary"Edit
I'm not sure that this is a valid reason for deletion - I don't know if we have a specific policy about revision deletion, but Wikivoyage:Deletion policy doesn't seem to allow it. Would you be willing to revert yourself? We all make typos DannyS712 (talk) 06:38, 5 February 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah, I figured that was pushing the envelope. -- AndreCarrotflower (talk) 06:38, 5 February 2021 (UTC)
Hidden revision on Travellers' PubEdit
Hey, Andre? Is the user whose abusive edit you revdeleted on Travellers' Pub a long-term vandal? I thought revdelete was only for persistent long-term vandalism. (I'm also not sure it qualifies as "vandalism" but that's a different question.) Powers (talk) 23:00, 25 February 2021 (UTC)
- Yes, it does bear some similarities to the edit pattern of one of the vandals that we use revdel against, specifically the one who uses anonymous IP addresses to launch unprovoked attacks against some of the WMF stewards. Though the tone of the comment was remarkably similar, admittedly it's not a perfect match; obviously I'm not a steward. But even barring that, there is also a precedent, unrelated to the clause at Wikivoyage:Deny recognition#Administrators related to long-term abusers, for using revdel against slanderous attacks on users mentioned by name - a phenomenon that happens from time to time here, and the reason why "Inappropriate comment" is one of the options on the pull-down menu. I see the revdel has been reverted already, I will revert the reversion citing this user talk page conversation. -- AndreCarrotflower (talk) 15:23, 26 February 2021 (UTC)
How we will see unregistered usersEdit
You get this message because you are an admin on a Wikimedia wiki.
When someone edits a Wikimedia wiki without being logged in today, we show their IP address. As you may already know, we will not be able to do this in the future. This is a decision by the Wikimedia Foundation Legal department, because norms and regulations for privacy online have changed.
Instead of the IP we will show a masked identity. You as an admin will still be able to access the IP. There will also be a new user right for those who need to see the full IPs of unregistered users to fight vandalism, harassment and spam without being admins. Patrollers will also see part of the IP even without this user right. We are also working on better tools to help.
If you have not seen it before, you can read more on Meta. If you want to make sure you don’t miss technical changes on the Wikimedia wikis, you can subscribe to the weekly technical newsletter.
We have two suggested ways this identity could work. We would appreciate your feedback on which way you think would work best for you and your wiki, now and in the future. You can let us know on the talk page. You can write in your language. The suggestions were posted in October and we will decide after 17 January.
Thank you. /Johan (WMF)
18:14, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
New bureaucrat inactivity policyEdit
You are receiving this message because you are a bureaucrat on this wiki.
Following a successful change in the inactivity policy, the bureaucrat policy has now been updated. Bureaucrats may now have their privileges removed if they have not:
over a 12-month period.
Bureaucrats who do not meet these requirements will be notified well in advance on their talk pages. Thank you.
Bureaucrat status (official notice)Edit
Thanks for your service as a Wikivoyage bureaucrat. As you may be aware, our bureaucrats policy indicates that bureaucrats who have not edited the English Wikivoyage or made at least one admin or bureaucrat action in over 12 months should have their bureaucrat flags removed. This is for account security purposes, not a reflection of a loss of trust or any disappointment.
This is currently being discussed at Wikivoyage talk:Bureaucrats#Inactive bureaucrats 2022/09. All comments are more than welcome.
--MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:44, 4 September 2022 (UTC)
- @Andre Carrotflower: Courtesy ping. SHB2000 (talk | contribs | meta) 01:45, 4 September 2022 (UTC)
Hi, sorry to bombard you! Are you still available to answer questions as docent for Buffalo and districts? I'm just going through the list of docents again to make sure we're up-to-date. Hope you're keeping well, mate. Best wishes, ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 11:30, 4 September 2022 (UTC)
- Salut encore. J'ai désormais effacé ton pseudo de tous ces articles-là (+ Clarence (New York), d'après Wikivoyage:Docents#Stopping being a docent. Bien à toi, ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 16:57, 12 September 2022 (UTC)