Welcome to the Arrivals Lounge
The Arrivals Lounge is a place where learners on Wikivoyage can ask questions about the website; in particular, questions about formatting, templates, or any problems or concerns. Experienced users can answer their questions and help them learn more about how to use the website.
To start a new topic, click the button below entitled "Click here to ask a new question", so that the new topic gets added at the bottom of the page, and sign your post by appending four tildes (~~~~). To see the archives, please visit the archive for the month you are looking for. For example, Wikivoyage:Arrivals lounge/Archives/2018/September gets you the archives for September 2018. Archiving is done automatically after one month for a discussion. There is also a page with links to archives; see Wikivoyage:Arrivals lounge/Archives.
I am new to wikivoyage. If I create a new listing say for eating etc, how does that get pinned on the map. E.g I do an entry for a cafe in western edinburgh how does this get pinned to the w edinburgh map, thanks, kevin —The preceding comment was added by Crann20 (talk • contribs)
- Hi Kevin. When you add a new listing, you'll see spaces for adding the latitude and longitude co-ordinates in either the template or the listing editor. All you need to do is fill those in with the correct co-ordinates in the format 1.2345 - four decimal places is plenty - and a number tag will appear next to the listing and on the dynamic map. Example from that same article (look at it in edit mode to see lat and long):
- 1 First Coast, 97-101 Dalry Road, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa lunch noon-2PM; dinner from 5PM. Popular neighbourhood bistro. 3 course set diner £26.
- There are numerous easy ways to find the lat and long of a particular location online; both Google Maps desktop version and our own GeoMap will do this for you, or you can just search for a lat and long finder online.
- Make sense? --ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 13:29, 6 May 2021 (UTC)
- One confusing thing is that you don't get the listing on the map in the previews (at least not the ways I use to do it). You'll get the marker in the listing, but to check how it looks on the map, save when you are otherwise ready, and correct coordinates if you made a mistake (different number of digits for lat and long, wrong sign, forgot a minus sign, whatever). –LPfi (talk) 15:26, 6 May 2021 (UTC)
the intro text has no way to edit. Just there is some text thats not correct.
Enniskillen (Inis Ceithleann, "Ceithlenn's island") is the former county town of County Fermanagh at the western edge of Northern Ireland. That county has been abolished and merged into Fermanagh and Omagh District. The town grew up on an island in the River Erne, which connects Upper and Lower Lough Erne and is navigable; boating and angling are major pastimes here. In 2011 Enniskillen had a population of 13,823.
I can't seem to edit this
- Not a problem for me. Can't you click the Edit button at the very top of the page?
- When you write on a talk page, please sign and date the end of your post by typing four tildes in a row (~~~~).--ThunderingTyphoons! (talk) 14:28, 12 May 2021 (UTC)
- You can avoid bringing up the entire page in Edit mode by enabling the gadget that adds a edit link to the lead section. Go to Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-gadgets, check "Add an  link for the lead section of a page" under General, and click Save. I don't know why this isn't the default without user action. --Nelson Ricardo (talk) 15:02, 12 May 2021 (UTC)
- I wonder why it isn't enabled as default. And it took ages for me to find it after the page banners were introduced: the link is just after the main title, and often on a background that makes it hard to see. Also, when looking at the diff, the title is above the diff, and thus also the edit link for the lead. –LPfi (talk) 09:52, 13 May 2021 (UTC)
Hi my name is Naledi Mathatho I am i need help with this wikivoyage because I am a newbie here so I am a person who is trying to follow up her dreams and I love to travel a lot, I am confidence and I am willing to work hard this time so I will need first steps 🤗
- Hello, @Naledi Mathatho. Welcome to Wikivoyage! I recommend starting at Wikivoyage:Help. The Understand section will hopefully answer most of your initial questions, but let us know if you need anything else. Nelson Ricardo (talk) 21:02, 4 June 2021 (UTC)