|“||Roam if you want to, roam around the world.||”|
To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub. If you are familiar with Wikipedia, take a look over some of the differences here.
Any comment here? Wikivoyage:Travellers' pub#Why isn't there a New Delhi article on Engvoy? Pashley (talk) 02:45, 5 November 2014 (UTC)
I see that other than the boilerplate welcome template above, you haven't been properly welcomed to Wikivoyage. It's great to have you on board. I've followed your contributions in mainspace articles and your comments on policy discussions, and let me say that it's great to see a new contributor plunge forward with such enthusiasm. I might say that if you have any questions or need any help with anything, just let me or any of the other regulars know - but it seems like you have things pretty well in hand, so instead I'll just say you're doing great work, and hope you carry on with more of it. -- AndreCarrotflower (talk) 19:42, 4 January 2015 (UTC)
You have been very, very busy!Edit
Hi, DaGizza. You've been a prolific and extremely helpful editor on this site. I think everyone familiar with your work would trust you not to abuse admin tools if you receive them. They would enable you to block spambots and very disruptive vandals and to revert a series of spam or vandalistic edits in a single click. Let me know if you have any interest.
All the best,
- Hi Ikan Kekek, I would be happy to take on the admin tools and help out with vandal fighting a bit more. Particularly since a few veteran admins have left us in recent times (hope it's temporary). Thanks for the kind offer. Gizza (roam) 09:27, 24 May 2017 (UTC)
- The process took longer than it should have, but you are now an admin. Note your new tools, which enable you to block users or rollback a series of edits with a single click. I'm sure you'll use them wisely. Please feel free to call on me or any other more experienced admin for advice any time you like, and thank you for being willing to help out in this way.
- All the best,
"Persistent, skilled" vandalismEdit
Hi DaGizza! Is there a provision for using links to Google Maps, in addition to the preferred geo lat-long coordinates? I'm suggesting we use both, keeping the Google Maps links because they have more info than just the location: name of the venue in the local language, photos, reviews and visitor reports, phone number, etc. If you use only the geocoords, I don't think there is a way to link through to the exact venue in Google Maps, only to a pin at its location.
Porteños and world class ice-creamEdit
Is this the right way to answer a message? Anyway, for the moment I would like to offer some data now and then, so you can decide wether to include it and how, if you would agree to do so. For instance: National Geographic has recently chosen the "Top 10 Places to Eat Ice Cream" in the world, and one of them is in Buenos Aires: Cadore, in downtown Corrientes street. Gastronomy is so good in this city that it probably deserves a section. Thank you. Tangombe (talk) 18:26, 6 February 2018 (UTC)
A goat for you!Edit
This page is awesome, thanks very much for putting it together.
Hi, this is User:18.104.22.168 here. I'm glad I was able to improve the Belgium articles, some of those things were really off indeed, the Flanders-Wallonia relations are really not as taboo or controversial as the previous revision suggested. I didn't know Wikipedia accoutns and Wikivoyage were linked so I'm contributing from here now.
Anyhow, thank you, and you're welcome!
A Barncompass for youEdit
|The Wikivoyage Barncompass|
|Thanks for your great contribution in Wikivoyage edit-a-thon 2018!|
A goat for you!Edit
Thank you for the message, there's a WikiLove section in your user page. So I decided to sent you a WikiLove.
- Thanks @Ikan Kekek:. I would first select the newcomers or unregistered user categories in Recent Changes and welcome those users (sometimes extending the number of results to 100 or 250 instead of 50 to find more users) but I also look at Special:ActiveUsers, which is a list of all active users in the last 30 days. I try to find users that have made a net positive contribution, have a redlink to their talk page and then welcome them. I thought about this idea during the edit-a-thon since there were many newbies perhaps going under the radar but I now think there have always been many editors who make one or two good edits but never get a welcome message. Most of these editors seem to forget about Wikivoyage and never return but hopefully the welcomes will rejog their memory and rekindle their interest in editing here. Gizza (roam) 22:45, 7 March 2018 (UTC)
An award for you!Edit
|The Wikivoyage Barncompass|
|Dear Gizza, thank you for helping me by creating my own User Page.|
Your feedback matters: Final reminder to take the global Wikimedia surveyEdit
Are you sure about this? See w:Ardlethan: Population: 387 (2016 census), practically empty Wikivoyage stub and no evidence in Wikipedia that it's of any interest to visitors, so a typical useless Telstra-user article. I plan on deleting the Ardlethan article as page-creation vandalism and permanently blocking the 2 Telstra-user sockpuppets who created it and the one who added it to the Riverina article, but as a courtesy to you, I thought I'd ask you if there's a reason I shouldn't. Ikan Kekek (talk) 04:55, 4 June 2018 (UTC)
I didn’t really have time to fix all the grammar errors in that article myself. Thanks for helping me do that. I sent you what I assume is a thank you notice, but just to be sure, thanks. Also, are you an “admin?” You definitely seem to have quite a lot of power around here. See you around, Vulcandor.
Vandalism in progress?Edit
I got a notification that you suspected me of being a guy named Telstra from Australia. I assure you, I’m not Telstra. I’m an American. I just want to do the same thing as all of you, put my talents to good use on a topic I’m interested in. You can keep an eye on me if you want, I understand you want to keep your site safe. There’s a lot of bad people on the Internet. Believe me, I’ve met them. I’ve done things online I wish I could take back too. But I’m past my “idiot phase.” Hopefully that clears it up for you. See you around, Vulcandor.
- Vulcandor - Telstra is a mobile Internet service provider in Australia that, for the past several years, has been used by a vandal to make edits to our site that bear a certain degree of similarity to some of the edits you've made. Gizza was correct to bring those similarities to the attention of the community, but judging by what's happened since then, I think it's safe to chalk this up to a case of mistaken identity. For one, the Telstra vandal virtually never responds to messages left for him/her on user talk pages, and when s/he does, it is immediately obvious that English is not his/her native language. Obviously none of those considerations apply to you, and hopefully this misunderstanding hasn't put you off continuing to contribute to our site. -- AndreCarrotflower (talk) 02:44, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
Have fun travellingEdit
I saw the notice that you are travelling over the next several weeks. Hope you have plenty of good memories to write about when you get back. --Comment by Selfie City (talk | contributions) 02:57, 29 October 2018 (UTC)
Checked my watchlist and saw that you just made a commentEdit
Hiding inappropriate editsEdit
By hiding "revision text", it hides the edit content, right, including pictures? I'm thinking in the case of the recent vandal.
I don't want to check, for obvious reasons
- @SelfieCity: yes "revision text" hides the edit itself. Edit summary is self-explanatory and username is too. I'm in a habit of hiding everything when it's necessary as per DENY. Gizza (roam) 00:18, 30 December 2018 (UTC)
- Sure, and in the case of inappropriate content like that incident (not that I ever saw it), it makes sense to hide everything. I think ACF's intention, though, is to only hide vandal revisions for the vandals who come back often, like Fuerdai, not for every vandal. --Comment by Selfie City (talk | contributions) 00:21, 30 December 2018 (UTC)
- I think when the vandalism is experimental and possibly good faith (e.g. someone typing "hello" or something harmless), there is no need to rev del. But in this case, even though the vandal didn't appear to be recurrent, was quite malicious and sophisticated. Adding images requires an intermediate knowledge of editing wikis. A first-time editor won't know how to add images. Gizza (roam) 00:31, 30 December 2018 (UTC)
Happy New Year!Edit
Please grant me a autopatroller right because I want to mark my own actions as patrolled? HutheMeow
- @HutheMeow: I'm not intending to criticize your edits, but at the moment it is still a little early. It is generally considered that users need at least 100 edits to reach autopatroller status. You do not have 100 edits yet. But if/when you have that many edits, I will be happy personally to go through your edits and, if they look OK, give you the status.
- PS: Sorry, DaGizza, for replying on your page! Hope you don't mind --Comment by Selfie City (talk | contributions) 06:45, 12 January 2019 (UTC)
Actually I changed my mind on that. HutheMeow
This conversation was moved to User talk:Zanygenius2 (WV-en)#Re:Horse racing
Dear @DaGizza:, Thank you for your thanks, as well as your work at Horse racing. I wasn't sure how the travel topic would go over, however it appears to be a success-ful article. What should the next step be from here? Zanygenius2 (WV-en) (talk) 22:48, 20 May 2019 (UTC)
@DaGizza:, Thank you for your help so far. A few of us was wondering whether to include the People's track in Belize. Was it notable? Please leave your response at the article talk. Thank you once again. Zanygenius2 (WV-en) (talk) 14:42, 23 May 2019 (UTC)
Thanks for the speedy clean up in Aisle 3Edit
Community Insights SurveyEdit
RMaung (WMF) 14:34, 9 September 2019 (UTC)
- @Whitepixels:, that was an accidental click of the revert button. I'm sorry. I was browsing Wikivoyage on my phone and must have pressed it mistakenly. I've reverted my revert. Gizza (roam) 09:20, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
Reminder: Community Insights SurveyEdit
RMaung (WMF) 19:13, 20 September 2019 (UTC)
Reminder: Community Insights SurveyEdit
RMaung (WMF) 17:04, 4 October 2019 (UTC)
Thanks a lot for using my toolEdit
Unfortunately, my current time schedule doesn't fit with updating the website ranks very well, so if you ever feel like you want to do it, go ahead. That's why I haven't been updating it much lately. Thanks for doing that while I haven't! --Comment by Selfie City (talk | contributions) 22:15, 28 October 2019 (UTC)
- Hi! Your updates to the differences table are superb. The Wikitravel column still claims/disclaims that the data comes from a 7 January 2018 update though? Are you able to update that date yet or is some of the info in that column still that old?Angry candy (talk) 11:53, 19 February 2020 (UTC)
- Hi @Angry candy:. Unfortunately, I cannot access Wikitravel's special statistics page, which is where the information comes from. I have a very old account there but when I log in it says I don't have permission. @SelfieCity: are you able you access the page on Wikitravel? In contrast, Special:Statistics is accessible. Gizza (roam) 22:00, 19 February 2020 (UTC)
Thank you for the WelcomeEdit
Thanks for the welcome. Perhaps you do here what I do on Wikipedia. To me, a red talk in a recent history entry is a call for me to do a Welcome, or (rarely) a Warning. I have done thousands of Welcomes over the years.
- @Dthomsen8: we are indeed meant to archive long talk pages. Perhaps the people active on the banner expendition talk page have been too lazy :) (I am personally not very involved with banners). Ideally we should have a bot that archives long talk pages every now and then. There are a few editors that create and manage bots here. I may raise this at the WV:Travellers' pub. Or you could if you like (the pub is a bit like the village pump at the pedia). Gizza (roam) 04:42, 13 December 2019 (UTC)
Hi, DaGizza, and thanks for taking care of things. I'd like to know what makes you sure this IP user is a vandal. I figure it's because they made some unexplained deletions. Should we enable them to edit their own talk page to discuss this? Or do you believe this is the sockpuppet account of a banned user (if so, we know who we're talking about)? I question reverting the parts of their edits that moved IsPartOf for articles back from Lower Inn Valley to the parent category of [[Tyrol], unless the towns in question are not actually in the Lower Inn Valley, but instead in North Tyrol or East Tyrol, which we have yet to have articles for. Ikan Kekek (talk) 02:09, 23 January 2020 (UTC)
- Hi @Ikan Kekek:, based on 22.214.171.124's previous block history which is here, the types of articles being edited and writing style, I believe it's the same banned user (AC) making all of the recent edits. I also know that the user has become active again on Wikimedia. See here. And the same banned user may using be another IP address here (undid SelfieCity's reverts). Gizza (roam) 02:28, 23 January 2020 (UTC)
- Hi - DaGizza - this is regarding your revert to the edits made by 126.96.36.199 on the Achenkirch page (my apologies - haven't yet figured out how to link to a specific edit - but its the top edit on that page currently). While the English is poor, and could do with some re-wording, it doesn't seem like this is an edit with bad intentions. And you didn't explain your revert. Could you please clarify your intent please? --Marvin The Paranoid (talk) 18:11, 26 January 2020 (UTC)
Thanks for mentoring Wikivoyage workshopEdit
Dear DaGizza thanks for having you as a mentor for the wikivoyage workshop dated 29 August. It was great having you onboard. Can you please share your feedback on the page Looking forward to more such wikivoyage activities.--Rangan Datta Wiki (talk) 17:40, 3 September 2020 (UTC)
What's that first number?Edit
https://en.wikivoyage.org/w/index.php?title=Wikivoyage:Wikivoyage_and_Wikitravel&curid=112083&diff=4060292&oldid=4058532 Ikan Kekek (talk) 01:13, 7 September 2020 (UTC)